Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Tiger Moth: Electrified and fly on Phasor 45/3 with pic

Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Kyosho Tiger Moth: Electrified and fly on Phasor 45/3 with pic

Old 07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Magna

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Kyosho Tiger Moth: Electrified and fly on Phasor 45/3 with pic

Hi all

First of all, the tiggie have always captured my heart ever since I seen one. Well, most bipe and tripe do the same to be. There are something very nostalgic about all these vintage WW1 plane.

Ok, here are the technical spec:
Kyosho SQS Tiger Moth(55in span)
899 Sq in area
AUW about 7lbs 2oz
Motor: Phasor 45/3 with Jeti Gold 70-3 Opto
Prop: APCe 12x6
RPM about 8000
Batt: 12Gp3300 and 14 RC2400
Static Amp: 30a(GP) and 38a(RC), so I'm about 55w/lb with 12 cell and about 70w/lb with 14 cell.
**On 13x8, I hit 38a with 12 Gp.

The conversion is VERY straight forward. Using the original mount setup, and it is mounted such way that I can use the MEC monsterbox in the future without alteration.

I cut the hatch ie the front cockpit (or the rear cockpit panel meter depend how you look at it) and epoxied in a hobby ply for batt tray and layered with Velcro. I also built a small mount for RX batt behind the firewall. This is to avoid using any dead weight.

The batteries can be removed/installed via the cut cockpit. The cockpit is secured with magnets on both end. Very secured setup.

I drilled cooling hole and also allowing the batt to extend through the firewall to hit correct CG. My GP3300 pack is ====== while the 14cell Rc2400 pack is made up of 8 + 6 cell pack. Again I setup the mounting to allow both config with same CG.

One thing upset me is that Kyosho did not mentioned the dihedral angle of the upper wing at all. It just said ensure both side are same! Same as what ie angle?

So my wing strut on both side was off/short by almost 2.5cm. I can mount it but it sure make my lower to have serious amount of dihedral. I manage to drilled additional hold to lower the center cabane and this bring the upper wing lower by approximate 1.5cm. As the lower wing is not super stiff, I can mount the strut without seriously compromising the wings structure.

So I mount the wing and leave it days as in to wear/bend-it the wing wood structure ie like run-in of motor.

I also add a layer of light FG to the bottom wing to increase the joined strength due to the short strut issues.

Also the linkages of Kyosho is terrible for SQS, it is not scale at all. The Green RC model from Jethobby is much better ie full flying rudder bar and flying wires for tail and wing.

Prior flying, I discover 2 of the HS81MG servo on aileron are screwed. NIB and DOA, so I replace the servo. Std futaba s148 for R/E.

Yesterday at site:
Took 20 mins just to set up a bipe. So I decided to leave the whole plane built up as it is. I just need to relocate the junk in my car to make space.

Range check, clear, linkage check, rudder, check, elevator,.......

Moment of truth.

Pilot looking at the wing sock(actually a ribbon on my attenae), power up, gently taxing into the runway and headwind. Feed the power and it taxing straight. No down elevator needed to hold tail on ground. No ground looping and its very in control, as I past half throttle, the tail lift up.

It basically take off by herself, almost. Pull the elevator, and off she goes. Gain a bit of height and more speed, I bank it up to the left and you can see that beautiful moth trademark on the upper wing as she continue that majestic turn. With some right aileron trim, she is maintaining level. No elevator trim at all needed.

All my fear turns into joy. The power is more than adequate with 14 cell. I fly it higher to check on other behavior. Timed the power timer for 3 mins to be conservative. I landed after 5 mins of flight. No down elevator need to keep tail stay put. The tail just lift up slightly on its own and very very predictable. Pull the elevator gently and off she goes.

Power off glide is fantastic for the weight, with 18+oz/sf this is great.

Landing is fantastic. Infact I land it with no power at all. The wind milling prop slow down the plane.

I tried to discharge the batt by taxing around for 2 mins. Still have 700mah left when discharge later with discharger. Technically, I'm OK for 8 mins flight with no problem.

Power with 14cell is nicer albeit it is very scale at 12.

The flight is very scale, and everyone at the site was amaze with the ROG and landing and just how beautiful it is flying slowly and bank over for a turn. On full power, the climb can sustain at 45 degree. Roll of ground with 60% throttle about 100 feet.

Roll is terrible and I did not even think of loop after I look at the wing joiner(very wimpy). It is barrel and needs lot of aileron and rudder to help out.

I will keep it for cruise, touch and go and slow fly by. Only thing not done is to paint the UC and the cowl for main UC strut. Also I have not painted the cockpit and the visor yet.

This baby land easier than those 40 size trainer. The weight definitely help a lot with the great wing area ie low loading.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85186.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	153735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94997.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	153736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98931.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	153737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25830.jpg
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	153738  
Old 07-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Mike Parsons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Kyosho Tiger Moth: Electrified and fly on Phasor 45/3 with pic

Nicely done.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:16 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought of a KYTM but got a good deal on a KY PT17.

I guess with that huge wing it flies very well on 12cells.

nice mini review too!
Old 07-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Magna

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After more flying last weekend, I decided 12 cell will be the best for scale and duration. But I upped the amp by increase the prop to 13x6.

This increase the power for take off but still have scale cruising. Also completed the cockpit and the remaining sticker except for pilot. I also painted the UC into yellow.

After some 8 mins flying, I still have 1200mah left in the Gp3300, so I believe 10-12 mins flight is very easy. With Lipoly, I can't imagine the flight time.

Did some loop, roll, stall turn, touch and go, fantastic! This baby fly very very well despite pricy kit and non scale linkages.

Here a shot of static pic.

Henke

I thermal this bird for 4 mins before coming down. With 6 mins power, I got 14 min flight. The 8 minute was flown without power at all!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29232.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	155096  
Old 07-19-2004, 01:43 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sounds really good! my PT17 is comeing in at 5lb, it is a bit smaller but I still hope I can get it to float well... doing those touch n goes are fun with a nice looking plane!

imagine yours an a 4s2p TP half the weight of the 12x3300 and 4000mAh
Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beautiful photos!

Thanks for sharing your setup.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 PM
kotuku

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi I have just purchased a Kyosho Tiger Moth, unused in original packaging & box. 1375mm wing span (54").

I am considering electric motors, Hobby-Lobby used to recommend AXI 2826/12, 40amp ESC, 4s? 4200 mAh, APC13x6.5e. I know of a Kyosho PT17 Stearman that used an Apache APXL30-14T motor and APC13x6.5e on 4s.

Looking at products from hobby city, KDA KD36-10XL, or KD36-12XL motors and a 40 or 60 amp H-wing (OEMRC) pentium or shield ESC, and HXT D9 G2 4100mAh 4S 15-25C Lipoly Pack. I have many smaller KDA motors and H-wing speed controllers that are great, hence my preference for them.

I would like this model to fly with scale like performance, with an APC13x6.5e prop or similar. The model will weigh 2.5 to 2.8kg ready to fly. Will the ESC's 3A switching BEC be satisfactory to power for 4 standard servos, or perhaps 2 standard and 2 mini for ailerons?

Comments on motors and setup would be appreciated.

So my questions are:

1, What motor for good scale performance and long run time?

2, What speed controller to match motor, will built in switching 3A BEC run four standard servos, or do I need Opto ESC and separate 4A UBEC?