Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Cox 049 to E-Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Tubes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox 049 to E-Power

I am interested in converting an 049 powered air boat to electric. I am not sure how powerful of an electric motor I need. I don't know what kind of thrust an 049 puts out. My boat is supposed to us a 6 inch prop. That will be a limiting factor to me with the electric motor because of the prop shroud. Could I use a three blade prop to get the same thrust at a lower RPM?
So basically, what motor and 6" prop will give the same power or thrust as an 049 with a two blade 6x3.5 prop?
If anyone knows how much thrust in grams or oz an 049 can put out, that would be helpful as well.

Thank you all for your insight!

Reuben
Old 07-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox 049 to E-Power

On an airplane, I'd normally recommend a gear drive with a much larger propeller. Those little 049 engines turn some pretty extreme RPMs, around 20000.

My first inclination would be to try an 8-cell battery with a Speed 400 motor and 5x5 or 6x4 prop.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Cox 049 to E-Power

there are several threads on this topic, search the forums and you´ll find lot´s of good info.