Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

"Mad Max" meets "Ace Alpha"

Old 08-02-2004, 12:38 PM
skellum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "Mad Max" meets "Ace Alpha"

So i've had a couple issues with my Wattage Mad Max. I tried to fly in the wind a few times, and although it was "alright" in the wind, it was to windy to land. a normal glide path would turn into a model getting beat into the ground killing my props. Anyway, I made the mistake of putting a smaller/faster prop on as it was all i had. Everything looked perfect except the speed was a lot higher than with the other prop.

I did some high speed dives and loops w/o factoring in the extra force on the control surfaces. next thign i know, the model comes out of a loop headed straight in (lawn dart) and i have no elevator control. by the time i see the elevator floating to the ground, the model is busted to peices in the ground.

I spent the next 45 seconds or so watching the elevator fall like a feather.

I'm now inspired (having ripped the radio from the MadMax) to attempt to convert my "Ace Alpha .049 to electric. I've installed the 370 motor with 4.78:1 gearbox on the alpha and am awaiting the new props 10X4.5 (or similar from GWS) before i can test. The model seems to offer enough resistance (weight plus the tricycle gear) that it won't taxi on carpet. I'll be interested to learn if this power plant will propel this model. If not, my second choice would be the elctrifly 601 from a SuperStar EP. However, mounting a battery pack in the alpha will require major modification. Someday i'll go brushless.

Has anybody converted a heavier high wing .049 model to electric with a 370 power plant?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: "Mad Max" meets "Ace Alpha"

It's gotta weigh less than a pound with the power system installed if you want the 370 to work. Even then, it needs plenty of wing area and needs to be a fairly low-drag design. Typical 370-powered planes are in the 10-14 ounce range if you want decent performance.

On the flipside, the 600-size power system is complete overkill. You're going from a 60-Watt system to a 240-Watt system. Something in between would be a whole lot more appropriate. Speed 400 on 8 cells would be the minimum power system I'd recommend. Speed 480 on 10 cells would be better on larger designs.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
skellum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: "Mad Max" meets "Ace Alpha"

well, i hand launched the test flight. it was pretty sloppy for the first few moments. Soon after, it started screaming as the pinion ate the teeth off of the nylon gear. A little bit of leftover damage from the mad max lawn dart move.

oh well, back to gas for that model...