Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

GLOW TO ELECTRIC CONVERSION

Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GLOW TO ELECTRIC CONVERSION

I am preparing to build a Top Flite Contender from a kit. Wing span 53 1/4", Wing Loading 21 - 23 oz., weight 6 - 6 1/2 lbs or 2721 - 2948 grams.

What brushless motor, ESC, Battery and servos would you recommend? I use a JR 8103 Transmitter.

Has anyone converted the Contender or built on electric outright? How did you lie it? What was the performance like?

Thanks Jim

Old 10-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Kolsso12

Default RE: GLOW TO ELECTRIC CONVERSION

I have a Greate Planes Venus (F3A plane) and the weight is 2.7 kilogram and is in the same size as Top Flite Contender. A have a Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 and an Aeronaut 15x10 propeller. My battery is PolyQuest 5 cells (18.5V) and 4000 mAh 12C. 52 A and 920 W on ground. It gives me unlimited vertical performance on 75 % throttle. You will probably not need so mach power, you can choose a 14x10 propeller. I have convert two plane in 40-size and I have found that 18,5 V and 4000 mAh give you power and flying time same as a 46 engine.

Best Regards,
Kristian
Old 10-13-2005, 11:13 PM
sharpshooter223

you kind of people make me mad. i am sick and tired of hearing about people switching to electric. why cant people just fly with gas...the FUN way
Old 10-14-2005, 06:36 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I like glow very much and will continue to predominately fly glow. However, electric does give one additional options. In one or two places that I could fly there is the noise problem. With electric it would be ok. It would allow me to fly more often because these other places are closer to home and I don't have to pack so much to fly electric. Just charge the batteries and go and when finished just return home and plug it in, vs. having to load flight box, fuel, tune engine, and then clean up before returning home. Stow the stuff, etc, So, there are some advantages to electric. I think having one in the stable will allow me more stick time.

Kolsso 12, thank you for you help. I appreciate it very much. I will start the build on this plane in the next month. I still have plenty of time to decide.

Sincerely,
Jim Vines Jr.
"In God We Trust" (Take that, ALCU)
Old 10-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Kolsso12

The hottest day I did fly this summer it was 29 C (84 F). I did have big hole for air to come in and cool my battery. I did still have problem to cool my battery. In Texas it is much hotter than it is in Sweden. I will recommend you to by battery with 15-20C instead of my 12C battery. I know the Polyquest 20 C has only half resistance in the battery compare to my 12C. With only half resistance you will only get 50% of the heat I did get. Then you shall not have any problem even at the summer.

Best regards,
Kristian