Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

need Senior telemaster (Sig Senior ARF) conversion advice

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

need Senior telemaster (Sig Senior ARF) conversion advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:04 PM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need Senior telemaster (Sig Senior ARF) conversion advice

I have a senior telemaster that I would like to convert to electric. The problem it that I don't know squat about what to use.
I want to use the plane for aerial video and to carry up a R/C skydiver. I need enough power to take up the plane plus at least 5 extra pounds.

Is something like the AXI 4130/20 what I need, or is there something else more suited such as one of the Hacker motors.

I need recommendations for the whole set up; motor, controller, gear box and ratio, batteries, and anything I missed.

I may even consider getting a Sig Senior ARF to use.

thanks in advance,

Gary
Old 08-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need Senior telemaster (Sig Senior ARF) conversion advice

Well, it depends on how many cells you were going to put with that motor. Otherwise, it's just nose ballast

Even though both planes recommend a .45 engine, I would put a .60 glow in the near-8-foot-wingspan Senior Telemaster. To that end, I'd say 20 cells or a 6S LiPoly would be ideal. That's 4130/16 territory. Put the biggest prop on that'll keep the Amps under 40 (check www.modelmotors.cz), and you'll be golden.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:26 PM
GaryV

Matt,

Thanks for the reply, am I correct in thinking that a 6S LiPoly is three - 2 cell packs wired in series, or two 3 cell packs wired the same?
Also what Mah capacity battery's should I consider. I know more it better, but there is probably also a minimum I should stay above.
It looks like a substantial investment to start with for a good set up. While i'm bugging you what do you recommend for a decent LiPoly charger.

Gary
Old 08-23-2004, 10:47 PM
GaryV

Matt,

I forgot to ask, will this require a gearbox on the motor.

Gary
Old 08-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Your understanding is exactly right. I myself would wire three 2-cell packs in series because it makes them easier to break up for use with other applications and for checking the cells' condition.

The capacity of the cells will be determined first and foremost by the current draw of the motor. If you've been shopping for LiPolys lately, you've certainly seen the term "C" bandied about. That C-rating tells you how much current you can draw from the battery packs as a function of the pack's capacity in mAh. For example, a 1500mAh cell rated for 8C continuous draw would be able to handle 12 Amps (1.5Ah times 8, drop the h = 12 A).

(For the mathematically inclined, C has units of "per hour" or 1/h to cancel out the hours in mAh.)

Per my recommendation, you'll be drawing 40 Amps. That means you need a 6S pack that can handle 40 Amps. One of the neat things about LiPolys is that you can combine multiple packs in parallel to get that current-handling ability, AND extend your flight times.

I'll try to remember to come back later and finish this. Gotta go!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Darrell B.

I recently read about a conversion of a H9 mustang where the pilot used the AXI 4130/16, a 70 amp controller, and a 6s4p I think pack, that was rated at 5100mAh. He claims to be getting 2 eight minute flights from this pack. I personally am building the Top Flight P-51 Mustang using this setup, and I am going with a 6s3p of the Apogee packs rated at 2480mAh. This will give me almost 7500mAh for several nice long flights. Be sure to prop your motor to keep your amp draw under control.
Good Luck,
Darrell B.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Mini Boy

Gary:

Check the link below, then "About Esprit Model" in the left side navigation buttons ..... then, about the middle of that page, for what ZB of Esprit Models fame did with his Kadet Senior ARF.

http://www.espritmodel.com/

I think the Senior Telemaster would perform similarly with this setup. Do note though, that ZB used 5S4P packs on his first endeavour, and increased to 6S4P on the next version. My best guess is that they are 2 - 3S4P packs wired in series. I'm currently doing the resaerch and plan to put a similar setup together and include a waterproof camera and mount mount under the fuse at the CG as a fall / winter project.

Russ
Old 08-26-2004, 11:34 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Interesting set up on the Kadet. I have been thinking about converting one myself. I wonder how the performance is without the floats using that 4120/18? I am wondering which is the better choice, the 4120/18 or the 4130/16? It would be nice to have unlimited verticle...without the floats on.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Mini Boy

Hi P-51B:

There is little doubt in my mind that ZB has a really heavy duty setup with his Kadet Senior. First , he is a dealer / distribtor, so he has the goods in stock, and at wholesale prices! AND, if I were him, I'd be putting together the absolutely best setups TOO! .... wouldn't YOU ?!?!? However, he's getting terrific performance, and great flight times, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

The issue of no floats will, without doubt, change the setup a tad. The Kadet senior without floats will be around a pound lighter, therefor another 60 or so watts (per pound) less power would be necessary. BUT, that is only approximately 10% reduction in AUW. Then, watts is the horsepower, and MaHrs is the duration, so where do you want to compromise?? Think of it this way .... take off the floats and reduce the AUW by 10%, and fly for 10% longer. This will be the continuing saga of electric flight for quite some time. We all will be watching for the "next" improvement or newest setup, or the greatest revellation "since sliced bread" in our hobby.

Just my thoughts ... for what it's worth,

Russ