Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

83' VQ models P-38 electric conversion

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

83' VQ models P-38 electric conversion

Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 AM
DVM100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 83' VQ models P-38 electric conversion

I've just started my conversion for "Black Market Babe" and intend to use Turnigy 4260 500s or 5055 600s with 5000ma 5S in parralel. Spring Airs going in and a bit of custom work on the nose. Pics coming
Old 12-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Screaming Eagle 2

First time in here. I am trying to make my p-38 into electric, just get the kit in September. Going to try to use two different of servo on the aileron so i won't have to use a reverser .Going to use RIM FIRE 60's  at 3200 amp 18.5 volt  an 13x6 or 13x8 prop's Using fubaba  3003 servo's  an spring air retracts. just a little over kill on e.s.c  80 amp  Going to try an use magnet's on my battery box door's 4 on each side of the door.  The left wing an left the left elevator stabilizer don't fit together  well at all. had to really sand the h- out of the wing joint on both side an the stabilizer is thinner than the boom stabilizer an shorter  so a lot of work there just to make them match. Then going to have to repaint the hole plane , they have three different color's, of blue. an the blue on the nose and the retract door are not even close . Sure wish they still had silver. 
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Screaming Eagle 2

Score: 100
Last Login: 12/15/2010
Status: online [img]../../../../../image/blank.gif[/img] First time in here. I am trying to make my p-38 into electric, just get the kit in September. Going to try to use two different of servo on the aileron so i won't have to use a reverser .Going to use RIM FIRE 60's  at 3200 amp 18.5 volt  an 13x6 or 13x8 prop's Using fubaba  3003 servo's  an spring air retracts. just a little over kill on e.s.c  80 amp  Going to try an use magnet's on my battery box door's 4 on each side of the door.  The left wing an left the left elevator stabilizer don't fit together  well at all. had to really sand the h- out of the wing joint on both side an the stabilizer is thinner than the boom stabilizer an shorter  so a lot of work there just to make them match. Then going to have to repaint the hole plane , they have three different color's, of blue. an the blue on the nose and the retract door are not even close . Sure wish they still had silver. 

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2120421/anchors_10200886/mpage_5/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10200886#ixzz18J7HztAd
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

And what happened?

Here's the one I built a couple of years back, following Mookie's lead.
HTX 63-64a 280kv motors, 6S2P3700 packs, 15x13x3 props
Went with chrome paint over the stock stuff for a more aluminum looking finish.

Modeled after the "Super Strafer" variant, 8 in the nose, and a pair each in pods on the wings.

I used the pods for pack mounts. Bottom of the pod was hinged, so it was easy to swap out packs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60904.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1543813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59498.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1543814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49197.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1543815  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Screaming Eagle 2

Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM
sudstad

Hi all!
I just purchased a VQLightning that was completed with nitro power. I've disassembled the plane, removed the enginesand associated hardware in preparation to convert to electric power.

I've been reading the forums on VQ Lightnings and have been really excited about this project... untilI weighed the sections of the plane. The airframe weighs 10.5 lbs without emotors, esc's, props and batteries. I'm estimating they'll add another 8.8 lbs. A few misc. pieces/parts and I'll be at 19.5 lbs!

I was hoping to fly it at somewhat scale speeds. I'm concernedthis plane won't fly well at that weight. I see Speed's plane came in about the same. Did all of the other electric conversions weigh this much?

I'm afraid I may have made a mistake in choosing this airframe to convert. Any comments and advice would be appreciated!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Screaming Eagle 2

HI   Sudstad    
 When i finished with my p-38 it all added up to 19.5 lb    When I talked to Stelvio in Italy, he said 18.5 to 19 lb was going to be about right, because of the battery weight. So you are right with your weight. You know all of these V Q plane come out of Vietnam now, because Lockheed wanted royalties on sales of VQ kits. 
 I use two air tanks in my p-38 one in each boom to supply my air. Medium size Robart
   I also had to cut a hole in both fire wall and slide my battery's way forward to get it to balance out, with out having to add a lot of weigh to the nose.I used two RimFire 60 for motor, a little over on motor size. I'm only getting about 6 min run time with my batteries.Going to try some new batteries,I just ordered, really hoping to get up to 10 min time on them.    
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 AM
sudstad

HI SE2!
You're right, the batteries are the killer here!Do theRimFire 60's pull the 19.5 lbs pretty well?

19.5 lbs was calculated using E Flite 90's and 6s5000ma batteries. I'm nowcalculating weights with E Flite 60's and smaller batteries to see if Ican find a lighter/better combination.

I'd rather have a plane thatflies well (scale speeds)andforfewer minutes, than to fly and land at rediculously high speeds. That's just my preference.

I have a 9.5lbVQ FW-190 with a 60 sized electric motor and a 3700ma battery. It flies extremely well and gives flights of 5 minutes. I'm trying to get the same characteristics with the Lightning.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Screaming Eagle 2

Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Screaming Eagle 2

HELLO Sudstad

Well the gremlin are still at it.got about two feet off the ground and the right ESC, burn up on me. landed in the tall grass so ever thing come out all right.  The new battery I was tell you about came out all right but not quit as good as I was hoping for them to. only getting 9 min of time I was really hoping for a good 11 to 12 min  50.00 a pack for 3 more min is now what i was really wanting. 

As you know I have the left motor turning to the left  so it pulled quit a bite to the left but the rudder was able to hold it straight but that was it. boy when you come in for a landing it is hot, has one long run out to slow down. Haven't used the flap's yet. one test on the old battery's. Then put the new one's in and the ESC burned out. Had to really dial out the dur  rate for steering on the ground, was just way, way, to touchy. I have the  F4U CORAIR, That i have been having a field day with, it fly just a little bite faster than a trainer, handles like a trainer, can't remember if it 14.2 or 14.5 5000ma battery's in it and getting about 15 min out of it and if you run out of batter you just glide back, it is a ball only has a 57inch wing span on it an a little 25fms motor but well swing a big 12'' 4 blade prop i just don't know how it dose it. I tried my 46 with that prop, and it was trying to really get hot so i shut it down.

Getting ready to build a r/c car for racing this winter, love to race oval track in the winter not going to build a plane this winter.
I was going to build a p-47 but the wife said she wanted me to spend more time with her this winter. And i can under stand I was out in the shop 5 to 8hr a day last year, at lease 5 some times 6 day's a week.

WELL you nice a nice one and well talk to you later.

SCREAMING EAGLE  II