Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Hanger 9 Gas - DC

Old 09-06-2004, 09:50 PM
BiplaneCrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hanger 9 Gas - DC

I wuld like to convert a Hanger 9 gasser 1/4 scale Super Cub to electric using the new hacker motors. Which one do I get? what battery, and what gear reduction?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hanger 9 Gas - DC

You should check out the Glow to Electric Conversions forum for some ideas. I'm moving this thread over there where it's more appropriate.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 PM
pcampjax
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW, I'm surprised no one has posted a response considering how many electric pros at our disposal. [&o]

I've been flying RC for many years and recently made a move to electrics. I have several electric and IC powered aircraft, one of which is my Sig 1/4 scale Cub (Zenoah G23 powered). My first attempt at an electric conversion was to "revive" my 19 year old Proctor Antic. While this aircraft is smaller and lighter than the Cub, l used an AXI 4120/14 with 12 cells. The plane flys great with 5 -6 minute flight times and best of all no clean-up! As far as converting your 1/4 scale Cub you're correct in suggesting a Hacker motor, but I'm sure you're aware it will not be cheap. Hacker makes a C50 Acro 12XL+6.7:1 that will turn a 17 X10 prop. You will need about 25 - 30 cells or an 8S4P LiPo pack with a 77 3P Opto controller. This is just a starting point and a quick guess on my part. I would call Zby at esprit model. Check his Web Site here: [link=http://www.espritmodel.com/]ESPRIT Model[/link] He can help you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm kinda surprised too... I figured people didn't want to hear me singing the praises of how easy a conversion is with AXi motors again, especially since I don't get anything but the warm fuzzies for doing it (hint hint Jim T). It starts sounding like a broken record. Plus, I've expounded on a few 1/4 scale Cub conversions in the recent past.

Anyway, since Cubs are magical airplanes that don't need power to fly, I wouldn't recommend more than 20 cells, probably with a 4130/16 and the biggest prop that'll cause the motor to draw 40 Amps on 20 cells.