Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

HELP! convert schoolboy from glow to electric

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

HELP! convert schoolboy from glow to electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 PM
bjammin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! convert schoolboy from glow to electric

Hello all, I have a Schoolboy NIB that i want to convert to e-flight. I really need help with motor/esc, batts, and servo size. I have a few other e planes but still need good experienced advice. Thank you to all who contribute, Ben.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: HELP! convert schoolboy from glow to electric

Let's start by getting the plane's specifications ironed out. Could you post them?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, which performance do you want?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:30 AM
bjammin

Ok guys, sorry I didn't reply sooner as I was out of town.
I purchased the plane from Hobby People. It's a .09-.15 powered rudder,elevator trainer. With gas power it recommends standard size servos,rx, and batt pack. As far as power goes, Id prefer a brushless/lipo set-up that would yield enough power for 1/2 to 3/4 throttle cruising and 15-20min run times.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It probably weighs somewhere in the 2-3 pound range, then...

250 Watts should be adequate; you're not going to be doing much more than cruising around with it, and an occasional loop for good measure.

Personally, I would not power ANY plane with less than a 3S LiPoly these days if you're going brushless. Reusing existing equipment would be the exception to the rule. Getting power from Volts, not Amps, is easier on the equipment, and allows you to use less expensive gear (i.e. a 25 Amp ESC instead of a 40 Amp ESC).

250 Watts is roughly a 3S LiPoly at 25 Amps. If you went with a 2S LiPoly, you'd be drawing 35 Amps.

Now for a motor rated to take that kind of juice. AXi has application tables that make it easy, so my recommendation will be for an AXi. The 2814/12 on a 3S LiPoly (same as 10 NiCd/NiMH) with an 8.5x6 prop shows a 24.6 Amp draw. Perfect! 8.5x6 may be a little difficult to find, so a 9x6 would be an appropriate substitute.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:27 PM
bjammin

Sounds great, does AXI (or anyone) make a motor mount that I can bolt to firewall? Would the CG be the same as the recommended w/ glow? I have a 3s 2000mah lipo. Is this big enough or should I go with a higher mah?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:13 PM
gwh

Axi makes a radial mount adapter that allows you to bolt straight to a firewall. If you have the new Kokam 15C 2000 cells you will be ok. With most other cells you will either need to prop down some or put two identical packs in parallel for a 3S2p configuration.

See Hobby Lobby or http://www.aircraft-world.com for more information on the Axi motors.

The CG will be the same.