Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

SIG Hummer - modify for elec.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:40 AM
jackhy
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default SIG Hummer - modify for elec.

Would like to modify a SIG Hummer Sport Flyer (.049 size) to electric using Speed 400 motor direct or gear driven. Anybody do one. Hope this is not a duplication thread--newbie here!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SIG Hummer - modify for elec.

If the .049 powered version comes in under 20 ounces, it'll make an ideal conversion for Speed 400.

I'm not familiar with the Sig Hummer. Any links?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:44 AM
sabre1205

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have and Will. I've bulit the Sig
hummer and w/o radio/motor it weights in at 9.25oz. I am using a speed 400 direct w/ Great Planes ESC C-10 and a lit-poly pack. Have not flown it yet but suspect that It wont be as fast as with a .049
Old 10-12-2004, 09:27 PM
khgiles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would be interested in hearing about your hummer electric conversion as well. I initially put a Wasp 0.061 in my hummer but I did not like the performance of the engine so I cut the fuselage sides off past the firewall to make run for an OS 0.10 LA. The hummer screams with the 0.10! It is fun with the gas engine, but I would like to put my brushless 400 on for park flying if the performance was okay.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:17 AM
ciur

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, my name is Antonio Ciurlizza (From Mexico) and I flew succesfully my SIG Hummer today for the first time (Though the landing was toug and needs little repair) here is what I deed:

First of All, I tried with a 7.2 Volt speed 400 motors without any modification to the plane but cutting some "Lowering weight holes" on both lateral sides, from the end of the wing to the stabilizer area. (Mistake, to heavy on the front) And it crashed, lost an Esc.

Second Tryal, with a 6.0 Volt speed 400 and a 3 cell LI-POL pack 1050 ma/hour. I cut the plane's front to the firewall, and installed the motor in there, perforating the firewall. Got a 1'' cone and a 6'x3 electric prop. Got a second try today, and it flys great!!! Capable of aerobatics. (A little nervous at the begining, my first lower wing) Had a little interference and crashed with little damage. (Recoating parts on the wing, and a new servo gear). The only detail was the heating on the motor, so I'll make several ventilation holes on the front for it's next flight.
Material used: Futaba AM receiver (I have an old attack 4 radio)
2 Hitec HS 81 servos.
Grauphner speed 400 6 volt mottor.
Standard 1'' cone, and electric 6'x3 prop.
3 cell LIPOL 1050 ma/hour
Great planes ESC C20

I hope this tips serve you.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:12 AM
Wazmo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

11.1V (three cell LiPo) is a bit high for a Speed 400 brushed motor. You do get higher performance, but you may find the brushes wear out fairly quickly.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I realise this thread is a bit old but I think the Hummer is a great looking plane that should do very well 'lectrified.

My first impression is that no one should expect the same kind of performance that a screamin' .049 will give it. The reason a say this is is that I know no electric motor/ battery combo that will equal the better .049s in a performance to weight comparison.
The geared motors should fly this plane quite well, just not at the same speed. To me that would be fine. To others who want the high speed or plan to race it against the Cox powered planes I feel there will be dissapointment. Things are changing in this relationship. In the near future ( maybe even now?) this is likely to change.

For those who read this and have not seen one of these planes Here is a pic. Nice looking plane! They still are available from http://Sigmfg.com as a kit and even the plans are available by themselves.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67411.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	586762