Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Uravitch 52" span OV10 Bronco to electric

Old 09-27-2004, 03:21 PM
ejohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Uravitch 52" span OV10 Bronco to electric

I am planning on building the Bronco from Rich Uravitch plans and plastic and want to power it with electric rather than two (2) .25 size engines. Other than using a brushless system, does any one have any ideas on a brushed motor setup for this plane. Its supposed to weigh 5-6 lbs with the two (2) .25 size motors. I realize with a brushed motor, a gearbox would have to be used but beyond that I am not sure. Thanks for any help.

Ejohn
Old 09-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Uravitch 52" span OV10 Bronco to electric

I heavily considered making mine electric. In the end, it boiled down to:

1. Being cut back to 1/2 time at work.
2. Having two Magnum .25XL 2-strokes, NIB, in the closet.
3. Not wanting to spend ANY more money.

The power systems I considered were:
AXi 2820/10 with 9x7 3-blade on 10-cell NiMH or 3S LiPoly
Kyosho Endoplasma with 3.8:1 gearbox, same prop and battery.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:14 PM
ejohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt:

Thanks for the reply and the systems that you were considering. You are right, the cost certainly is a factor converting to electric but I am going to look at your suggestions and do some more research before I give up on the electric conversion. Thanks again.

Ejohn
Old 10-06-2004, 08:01 PM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a link to an electronic article on the conversion of the OV-10 to electric.

http://ercits.tripod.com/nov02/bro.htm

I considered it, but I've got a couple of .40 4-strokes to go in mine.
Carlton Campbell
Old 10-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't get me wrong. I would've made it electric had my employment situation been different at the time
Old 10-06-2004, 09:46 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would go for the Endoplasmas in gearboxes. Works great in our 5 lb Avistar

TTYL,
AndrewT.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:09 AM
ejohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys for the additional comments and suggestions. This is really a big help and I am going to continue my pursuit of electrifying my OV-10 Bronco.

Ejohn
Old 05-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just ordered a 52" Bronco to convert to a volter.

I am now flying a Hobbico Twin Star with the same power system Matt Kirsch was considering.
2-Axi 2820-10, APC 10X7-E props, 2-Jeti 40 amp controllers and a 3S3P 6000 Li-Po, the plane weighs 5.8 lbs. and fly's very well but is just a bit under powered for big loops and other aerobatics.

Talked with A.J. at Hobby Lobby about bigger motors, the Axi 2826/10 and was told I would need much bigger props.
As it is I have only 1/2" clearance between the props and fuse. He suggested using APC 10X10 E props so thats what I've ordered.

I'm doing two to three ten minuet flights on one charge each time I go to the field with many T&G's.
I have a 78" Canadair CL-215 I'll put the Axi 2826/10 motors in, it has room for 14" props.

UPDATE... Just got my Bronco from the brown truck, gona be a "slice of pie" where are the "PYLONS"? Ya know, the sub-wings at the rear of the fuse that contain hard points and M-60 machine guns?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Carlos Murphy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got 12 flights on my Bronco now, very impressed with it's performance.
At a half pound heavier than my Twin Star with the same gear it's faster, that's because the controllers in the T-Star were set on "soft-start" (I'll re-program)

With APC 10X10 E props the 3S3P 6000 Li-Po runs too hot, 155 degrees, with 10X7 E props it's 140, max should be 135 so I'll try 10X6 E props to drop the temp and I saw no difference in speed between the 7 or 10 pitch props.

I did have to vent the fuse with scoops and outlets to aid cooling which poses a problem for my next project, my 78" Canadair water bomber. How the heck do I vent the battery and keep the fuse dry?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
gwright

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I converted this one several years ago. Was using two endoplasma's with GD600's and 11X10 props (10 tooth pinion for 4.6 ratio), and two 10-cell sub-c packs,.. 3000mah nimh cells. I lightened the structure a lot, and I installed spring-air 600 series retracts. Was a great flyer, won funscale at as couple scale competitions. I had a minor ding that removed the nosegear, and it's been sitting in the attic without radio equipment for a couple years. I recently decided to re-fit it with modern equipment. I've got to fix the nosewheel retract mount, and finish re-fitting electronics, so it will be back in the air soon. Motors being replaced with two Hacker A30L outrunners and packs replaced with a 3S3P thunder power lipo. Calculations show that it should lose over 2 lbs and gain power. GREAT flying plane, converted well to electric. Rich is local and we fly together some. Once I've re-fitted mine and we see how the power system works that I've put together for it, he plans on doing a conversion kit for the arf. The arf's are actually lighter than the kits, so it should work well.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:47 AM
topher39
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carlos Murphy, thanks for your feedback on this Post - I want to be clear on your power - you did go with the 2820s not the 2826s?
What prop are you running now, or what prop did you have the most success with. I just bought the ARF version and was planning on 2820's - I have them in my shop now. Also - you said the Temps were too hot for the Lipos - what C-rating packs are you running?

What is your Amp draw total and What is your run time per pack? You mentioned on your twinstar, "I'm doing two to three ten minuet flights on one charge each time I go to the field with many T&G's. ?????

Are you running retracts on the bronco?

I am looking forward to the plane and your feedback, helps a bunch. I was tempted to get the big one.

I fly a H9 P-51 and a GP stuka on 4130s, a Combat corsair on a 2820, and I have a Tom Hunt Pucara Twin using the big MPJ motors. I am working on a KMP P-38 on 4130's
Old 01-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Carlos Murphy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Popher,

My my motors are 2820-10 Axi's and a Thunder Power 3S3P 6000 LIPO which is the wrong battery for this combo.

The Bronco with 10x7 E APC props pulls 630 watts at 58 amps and with 10x10 props it's 650 and 69 with no difference in speed.

The Twin Star with same power system gets 11.75 watts at 41 amps with 10x10 props but still must reprogram "soft start", haven't tested with 10X7 props yet.

Almost done with a H-9 T-34 Mentor with a Axi 4120-14 and 2 KOK2000-15C-4S packs with full cockpit and retracts.

Haven't been doing airplanes as much as I once did, been concentrating on shooting (weather permitting).

Regards,

Chuck
(Carlos Murphy)
Old 01-27-2006, 11:23 AM
topher39

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carlos - what do feel is the right battery for the combo?

I am planning on using 2, 3cell, 12C packs in parrallel for a total of 6000 mah and the ability to pull up to 60 amps (not going to)
- I use this in my twin Pucara.

You are happy with the performance you get with the Bronco? - Are you going to stick witht the 10x7 props for the Bronco?

You campare the numbers to the twin star but you list 11.75 watts? That can't be right?

Thanks for your input, I am excited to get it going once I get it from UPS.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Carlos Murphy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry, that's 450 watts and 41 amps on the Twin Star on soft start mode.
I don't know which is the best combo, controllers and batteries because I haven't perused it this winter.
The best source for info I know of is L.A. Johnson at Hobby Lobby.
I'm using a pair of Jeti 40 ampers in both planes and may have to go to 60's with the right batteries, what ever they may be.
The speed on the Bronco I think is very good at WOT but the battery gets too hot and take all the fun out of it, I keep thinking I'll see smoke pouring out of the plane while making a high speed pass and as you know It takes alot more money to put a $200.00 ARF in the air with electrics than glow, the T-Star was only $119.00.
Good luck.
Chuck
Old 01-27-2006, 01:49 PM
topher39

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"WOT" ??? - sorry, you lost me on that one!

yeah the e-planes do take a pocket full of cash to do right, but after flying glow I think they are worth the investment. I am finally coming to a point where I can fly more than I buy, but with the bronco where is my 12 step program.

Thanks again - hey, have you ever looked into retracts?

Chris
Old 01-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Carlos Murphy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOT, Wide Open Throttle and WFO, Wide Freekin Open.

Have retracts in my H-9 T-34 but not the Bronco, from what I understand their easy to retrofit.

Let me know how you make out.

Chuck