Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Faster flight using different prop, Question?

Old 10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Longarm
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Faster flight using different prop, Question?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my Hangar 9 P-51, I am currently using an AXI 4130/16 motor, a 16/10 APCe prop, powered by a 6s2p pack of Tanic batteries. The current setup at full power pulls around 50 amps.

The plane has loads of thrust, but it flies at around 45 mph level (guessing) and will come out of a shallow dive at maybe around 60mph (again, a guess)

What prop can I change to that will decrease my torque, but increase my speed. I currently have very close to 9lbs of thrust. I looked at the charts on the AXI motors and a 14/10 should have close to 6 lbs of thrust. Will the smaller diameter prop increase my flight speed? I know it will decrease my amp draw, thus increasing my flight times I hope..

Keep in mind, I dont want to change anything other than the prop to gain flight speed. Longer take offs are expected with less thrust, I know. I want some head turning eye popping speed passes........What will do it with my current setup...

Thanks,,,,,,,

Longarm
Old 10-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Faster flight using different prop, Question?

Prop pitch is what gives the plane its speed. More pitch=more speed. But more pitch=more power too.

To keep it in balance, you need to reduce diameter while increasing pitch. A 15x12 would be the next logical step, and should give you about 20% more speed while keeping power about the same.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Faster flight using different prop, Question?

Marshall,

I agree with Matt but i'm not sure if APC makes a 15x12 e-prop. [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/elecprop.htm]Hobby Lobby[/link] has a 15x10 prop that may effectively give you more speed. If the current is reduced on your Lithium pack, the voltage will be higher which will produce higher RPMs.

It might be worth a try if you don't easily find a 15x12 prop.