Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

MEC"Warp drive" in SKYLARK pattern plane

Old 10-23-2004, 03:37 PM
c-grain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MEC"Warp drive" in SKYLARK pattern plane

Hey all, Thought I'd do a new conversion for the Skylark from HL. This is a $99 plane on sale! Lotta "bang for the buck" in MHO! The motor I used is a MEC B36/56-1150,a bit over the top in power for this size plane,but I proped it very conservatively.
Specs:
Motor-B36/56-1150,3.5-1 Superbox
ESC-Phoenix 80
Batt.-Apogee 6s2p 3140mah AUW-91 OZ.
Prop-APC 16x8
Radio-JR/DS811 digital servos,ultamate BEC
Since I had no motor mt. for this new motor,and didn't want to wait for one in the mail,I designed one just for this plane.Also,because of the prop dia.,I had to fabricate a new landing gear.Had some 1/8"aluminum-6061-t6 aircraft grade & gave it enough height to use an 18" prop if I want.WhenI ran up the motor on the Wattmeter,I got the following:752W,20.5V,37.2A I Think that will be just about right for a plane under 6# for starters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24697.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	185835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80695.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	185836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76997.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	185837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57915.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	185838  
Old 10-25-2004, 01:02 PM
StephenT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MEC"Warp drive" in SKYLARK pattern plane

C-grain

I was waiting to make a choice btween a Skylark and a Funtana 40 to convert to electric. I waited too long. HL is out of the SKylark.
I was going to use the MEC system from my E-Magic. I guess I will put it in a Funtana Your system and plane look good.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:19 AM
c-grain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stephen,thanks for the reply. Are you going for the 40 size or the 68" one.I was about to buy the big H-9 Funtana for $209 but saw the Skylark for$99.Always sorta wanted a pattern plane but they all seemed so expensive also they were pretty heavy.The MEC B36/56-1150 was ordered just for the Funtana. Its a bit of an overkill in the Skylark! I should have put the landing gear on the tail-haha.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice job!

I see that you also needed to modify the stock gear mains to make room for your 16x8 prop.

I think this plane flies great and was dissapointed to it discontinued at Hobby Lobby.

Good luck with your Skylark!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:23 PM
StephenT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

c-grain

I want the .40 size for $169.99. I waited too long for the HL Skylark. I just sold my last glow plane and had Jim at the LHS order me a Funtana. I know everyone has converted one but I have wanted to do it ever since I first saw it advertised. I'll use the MEC 36-50-?? and a 5S1P Kokam 20C system from my E-Magic.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
c-grain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greg,Thanks for your reply.I have included some pics of the final "ready to fly"bird/ some close-ups of the cooling sys. Also,test-flew this morning finally! The wind here where I live is vicious to say the least---25-30/gusts to over 60! The San Luis Valley here in Co. is the largest "Alpine"valley in the world & at around 8000' ASL no wonder-closer to the jet stream I guess. The flight was like a 60second "Bull ride"!!!!!!! After I got it under control&half-way trimmed it slowly began to be enjoyable. It was very nose-heavy & took almost all of my rt.trim to get it to cooperate.I balanced it 6-3/4" foreword of T.E.@ the root.The recomended bal. is-165 to 172mm ahead of T.E. so I thought it was in the ballpark @172mm,actually max foreward. Oh well,I'll [X(]start moving aft slowly 'till I get where I want it.Never got to full power even on take-off. Maby if someone would tell me where they have the C.G. on their Skylark,it would save me some time.All in all,plane is very smooth and I think I can improve my aerobatic skills with a tool like this plane should be.
Reguards,& thanks,R.Karp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64478.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	187842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58254.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	187843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96613.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	187844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52609.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	187845  
Old 01-07-2005, 04:10 AM
StephenT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

C-grain

I have had overheating problems with my MEC 36-50-6 motor once I went over 14.8 volts. Your setup appears to have more airflow than mine. On a 18.5 Volt 5S lipo I could fly 3 minutes before thermal shut down. I cut the cowl open for more flow and hung the controller outside. On the next test flight gearbox jammed, the spur gear hit the set screw, and the controller cut out at a low nose up attitude. It pancaked, totalled, so I don't know if the additional air vents would have worked. On 14.8 volts I flew my E-Magic with no problems. Lots of airflow in this plane. I am going to try 5S lipo's and a smaller prop here.