Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Electric setup for Paris White DC-3

Old 11-05-2004, 03:25 PM
OsmanKhan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Electric setup for Paris White DC-3

can any of you electric pros help me with this project.
I am in the middle of finishing a 1/12 scale DC-3 from Paris White plans. Following are the specs for the plane:
Wing Span: 96 inches
Approx Wing area: 1000sq.in
Max Prop size: 10" (due to fuse clearance limit)
Approx Built-up weight (minus the electric motors, batteries, electric accessories): 8-9 lbs.
Glow engines used in the original plan: 2x 0.51 Super Tigers.
I need expert opinion regarding electric conversion. Is it worthwhile going with electrics at all.
Its a scale machine and i just want to do easy level flight maneouvers and turnarounds, with about 9-10 minutes per flight. What kind of a set up should I be looking at? Brushless, LiPos, geared, etc.
Any help or info will be highly appreciated.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Electric setup for Paris White DC-3

Hi Osman,

One of the advantages of electric power systems is in the significant reliability increase in multi-engine planes. Your DC-3 should fly fine using two of the AXI 4120 motors or the smaller AXI 2826 motor since you could more easily use either a 10-cell NiCd/NiMH or 3s Lithium pack.

Check out the AXI 2826/10 motor [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm]here[/link]. You can always use a 3-blade prop to add an effective 1" over a 2-blade prop since you are limited to 10".

Lithium packs can always be added at a later date to add flight duration and/or drop weight so your best approach is to start with a brushless motor and a 10-cell GP3300mAh NiMH pack or a pair of smaller 10-cell NiMH packs. If money isn't a concern, the AXI 2826/10 will fly a long time on a 3s2p ThunderPower 4200mAh pack. I would recommend one pack per motor.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:26 AM
OsmanKhan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks a lot Greg

Your info is very valuable indeed for a beginner in electrics like me.
Let me feed your info into MotoCalc to see the statistical results. By the way have you used MotorCalc and do you think it is a good reference for estimating approximate real world scenarios.

Also can you tell me if each of the twin motors requires its own ESC or if one can be used to control both the motors.

Thanks again
Osmanrt
Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MotoCalc is a good place to start. Be sure to disable the brushless motor heat compensation as this usually causes the results to look poor. It is much more accurate with this option disabled.

On brushless motors, use one ESC per motor. On brushed motors, you can use either one ESC per motor or multiple motors per ESC.

For an example of the power system, check out this link to the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/taxicup.htm]Graupner Taxi Cup II[/link] at Hobby Lobby. See the size plane that it flies and then compare to twice the power system on your application.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:25 AM
OsmanKhan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greg some more queries regarding electrics.

1. Is there an issue with wire lengths between battery packs and esc, or esc and motor. Since to balance out the weight around the CG I may have to shift the batteries under the cockpit area, the lenght of wires (considering the ESCs to be near the necelles) between the ESC and the battery packs would be approx 18-20 inches. With such high currents involved does the issue of voltage drop come into play with wire lengths exceeding a certain length. I'm not sure about the standard wire lengths that come with these products, or if there are wire extensions that are available for electrics.

2. Are there any interference issues with wires connected with battery packs, ESC or motors running next to receiver or servo installations. Is some sort of minimum isolation required. There are magnetic fields associated with DC current carrying wires and I was wondering if it would have a negative effect on signal wires (between receiver and servos) running next to each other.

Hope to hear from you on these matters.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:35 PM
kevinlmoses

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am contemplating purchaseing the plans for this plane. Of what does the construction of this plane consist? Is it all balsa/wood, or is there foam also? Could someone include a snapshot of this plan so that I can get an idea of what it lookis like?