Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

F4U Corsair top flite RED BOX electric conversion

Old 11-20-2004, 01:57 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default F4U Corsair top flite RED BOX electric conversion

Has anyone built a RED BOX Top Flite Corsair and converted it to electric, or a Top Flite 60 size Corsair to electric?
Im looking for possible electric mototr size, ESC, battery size, and prop size?
Alan
Old 11-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: F4U Corsair top flite RED BOX electric conversion

Which performance do you want? this bird can probably handle every thing from an AXI 41/20 on NiMh to Hacker C50L on Li-po. it all depends on the weith/flight time/power you want
Old 11-23-2004, 01:28 PM
fireplug1111

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well sir I guess I should go a little further with my request. I dont want to go a million miles per hour, but I do want good performance
Something that isnt too slow and not to fast. Just a nice easy flight with simple aerobatics. Im not the one to fly 2" off the ground at mach2. Something close to the 60 size engine I might put in it.
Thanks Alan
Old 11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd look at an AXI 4130 on 6s or a Hacker C 50 10L.

John
Old 11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want glow-like performance, then figure about 100 Watts per pound of finished airplane weight. The high end of the recommended AUW on the box is a good place to start for a weight estimate. You have a little wiggle room if you go over weight, and if you build light, the plane will just perform that much better!

The nice thing about Watts is, it doesn't matter what motor you put in the plane, as long as it can handle the Volts and Amps that make up the Watts.

That plane is probably going to come in at around 9 pounds, right? Okay, 900 Watts is the power level you're shooting for. Let's split that out into Volts and Amps. I generally like to run 20 cells (meaning NiCd or NiMH) on a .60-size airplane. To get 900 Watts out of 20 cells, you need to draw around 45 Amps (45 * 20 = 900) because the voltage drops a bit under heavy loads. What's really cool, and why I like 20 cells in a .60-size plane, is that 20 NiCd/NiMH cells translates directly into a 6S?P LiPoly pack.

We've got our battery, 20 cells (or 6S LiPoly) and the peak current of 45 Amps. Now it's time to go shopping. We need an ESC that's rated for 20 cells and 45 Amps, and a motor rated for the same. The ESC is simple, but the motor is a little more involved.

If you go with an AXI motor, you can just go to www.modelmotors.cz and look up a motor/prop combination that draws around 45 Amps on 20 cells using their charts. You'll have a couple to choose from, so your choice should reflect prop clearance and possible weight considerations. A geared setup like a Hacker will be completely dependent on prop clearance, because you want to make the most of your power by spinning the largest practical propeller with the available power.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:25 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I got into Electric in 1996 I had a TopFlight Corsair powered by a .60 glow engine. It had Flaps, Retracts and was a dream to fly.

After getting into Electric, I converted it. I used an Astro 40G motor, 24 Nicads, removed the Retracts and Flaps, lightened the structure, and Flew it for about 10 flights. I then Retired it and it now hangs in my daughter's game room. I was suprised that after the Electric Conversion it flew as well as with the .60.

I would think that in this day of Powerful outrunner Brushless motors and Li-Poly batteries, this would be a very rewarding and great flying scale project.

I have a video of the first flight taken with an old Video camera. Not great, but it is veiwable. The landing left much to be desired and the pilot cut the throttle too soon and it tip stalled into the dirt. Minor repairs and no more mishaps right up till retirement.

[link=http://www.altacom.us/video/Corsair.wmv]Altacom of Las Vegas[/link]
Old 01-10-2005, 11:37 PM
mookie1
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm getting ready to convert a Top Flight P-40 with a Hacker B50 9XL with a 5:3:1 gear box. I'll be using 6S4P TPower batteries and a 16X10 prop. I used this on my Hangar 9 P-51 with great success. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:57 PM
luc-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a conversion for .60 sized planes is:
axi 4130/16 APC 15*8E and 6S2P 2200I am jus converting with this setup both a P51 miss america from Hangar 9 and an AT-6 from the same manufacturer
Old 01-16-2005, 10:32 PM
feathermerchant

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a link to a thread on the H9 P51 conversion:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256745
Mine is 8lb and flys best on an APCE16X12. Motor is AXI 4130/16. Bat Tanic 6S 5,000.
Has been radared at 84mph out of a dive.
Here is a link to my maiden:
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...0&ppuser=19395
Maiden was with a 16X10. The 16X12 is a little faster.