Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

GP Profile P-38 to Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 11:16 PM
YarSmytheJr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Profile P-38 to Electric?

My mouth is watering for the Great Planes Profile P-38. However, I've been tinkering with electrics lately and wonder if anyone has considered or invented an EP conversion on this kit.

Would anyone care to give their opinion on what it might take? I'd like to know everything...motor, battery, ESC, prop, gear, etc. What problems do you run into when operating two electric motors? Is it possible to make them run in opposite directions to reduce the torque (like the real thing)?

[link=http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0487.html]GP Profile P-38 Website[/link]

-Lee
Old 11-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GP Profile P-38 to Electric?

My current kit-build project is a Uravitch OV-10 Bronco. Power requirements are pretty much the same, 2 x .25 2-strokes. While the exact powerplant is still up in the air, I am seriously considering twin electric.

One of the setups I'm considering is a pair of AXi 2820/10 motors on 10 cells or a 3S?P LiPoly, propped to run at 25 Amps each. That'd give me 500 or so Watts on a ~6lb airplane. Not bad.

Another setup, much cheaper, is a pair of Kyosho Endoplasma motors, gearing TBD, again on 10 cells or a 3S?P LiPoly, this time propped to run at about 30 Amps each to account for the loss of efficiency.

When planning a twin, you need to decide some stuff:

1. One or two ESCs. With brushless, the answer is already chosen for you, because each motor needs its own.
2. Series or parallel. Do you want to run the motors in series or parallel? Two motors in parallel would mean a low cell count (e.g. 10 from the above example), but a high current (e.g. 2 * 25 Amps = 50 Amps in the above example). Putting the motors in series would mean a high cell count (e.g. 2 * 10 = 20 cells) and a low current (e.g. 25 Amps). 3. You can also run two completely separate systems. That is, one battery and ESC for each motor.

With brushless, you're limited because you need to run two separate ESCs. In this case, you'd have to run both systems in parallel off one battery, or two completely separate systems.

When I eventually try it, I think I'm going to go with a single battery, running both motors off it in parallel.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:15 AM
SpiritMan
My Feedback: (1)

Where did you purchase the Kit?

I am trying to locate a OV-10 Bronco to build...

Thx!

Ron
Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Rich Uravitch will sell you as many kits as you want:
www.hobbyhangar.com
Old 11-13-2004, 12:03 PM
IWC

www.kamodels.com
Old 11-15-2004, 07:08 PM
cagey
My Feedback: (6)

i just finished up a hobby lobby p 38 48 w/s. the white fiberglass one. i went 2 brushless motors and 2 esc and one 4200 lipo thunder power battery 11.1 volts. this was my first electric plane. it flys wonderfull. it is fast. as of yet no bad habits.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Steve8080

What motors did you use?

I am consider the VQ P-38 electrified.