Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Speedy Bee conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 01:25 AM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speedy Bee conversion

Yeah....I know.....it is not a Funtana or any other hot plane.....but is a conversion non the less! Very simple, cheap and easy....here is what I did: I took off the Enya 15 and motor mount, then took out the tank....not much room, but it did finally come out. Cut a battery hatch in the front of the fuselage and made a battery cradle in the fuselage with cooling vents. Had to move the servos WAY back to aquire propper CG. Made a motor cradle and added 3 degrees right thrust and 1 degree of down thrust, that is held down along with the motr by rubber bands wrapped around bamboo shafts. For power I am using a Kyosho reverse rotation Magnetic Mayhem motor and a Master Airscrew 3:1 ratio gearbox with an APC 12X8 prop and for juice, ten cell packs of Sanyo CP-1700s.

The maiden flight will be 11/27/04. Hope it goes well!

Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speedy Bee conversion

How'd it go?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 PM
imsofaman

Matt...not very well. I was using this same motor that was in my Lazy Bee. I had replaced my brushes because it was loosing power. I finished my conversion for the Speedy Bee and dropped in the motor. I had bought a used Jeti 350 off Ebay....threw it all together and went to the field. It was windy as Heck! But of course...i went for it. For some reason...it was way underpowered. I was SHOCKED! [X(] You must understand that with my Lazy Bee...it would almost hang on the prop! That is how strong this combo is. So.....either the motor is "cooked" from using ten cells or the ESC is bad. I am not sure which. I will have to do some tests later...right now...not feeling well...coming down with a cold. But I am reletless in my persuit of BEE-dom!!!!!

Ok....This has gotten the wheels turning....Im going to the basement!

OK...here is the DEAL! Haste makes waste. I had a brand new motor that I had in my drawer and did not know it. I compared the two. The one I had in the Speedy Bee.....had half the power of the new one. The old motor.....the new brushes were OK...the springs did not have enough tension. I could see the brushes bouncing. The com is worn also. So....I dropped it in water and ran the heck out of it, bent the springs and added one more wrap around the pole and that was it. The RPMS are close to the same....the new one is a little faster. The motor and prop actually lifted my arm in the air when testing it!!!

I may try it again on Sunday...weather permitting. Wish I had better news. If I would have dropped in that new motor....I would have been ripping up the sky. Darn it!!!!![:@]

Dave
Old 11-29-2004, 06:02 PM
imsofaman

Hey Matt......I do have a question. Is there a brushed motor that handles ten cells better than the Mag Mayhem? I may get another AXI 2814 like I have in my Corna. That will be Spring time before I can save up some cash.

Dave
Old 03-26-2005, 11:46 PM
imsofaman

Matt....I changed motors! I went with a Phasor 30/3. I saw a 52" span Piper Cubb with Phasor in it and was vey impressed with the power. I found my Phasor 30/3 used and soon machined a can mount similar to the one you can buy from hobby lobby but designed the mounting flange to fit my firewall better. I have two degrees down thrust and three degrees right thrust. I had made the second firewall from 1/8 ply and added the angles with a belt sander. Epoxed that to the exsisting fire wall. I also added some supports behing the firewall inside the engine nacelle. I simply used wood screws to hold the motor to the firewall. I am using a Pheonix 40 amp ESC. Cuts off @ 9 volts.I think that is perfect. From www.cheapbatterypacks.com I purchased two three cell 3100 milliamp packs with the tap installed. This is a great system for charging your lithiums. It is safer this way because you can not over charge and ech cell is charge seperatly. My prop selection is a master airscrew 11X6 electric undercambered prop.

Flight....
The plane flies effortlessly with this 30/3. I can fly it slow....if there is a breeze....it will stay in one one spot suspended in mid air. Too cool! Being so much lighter by using the lithiums makes take off and landings so much easier. This plane is truly awesome!!! I hope to have some video on my web page soon.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84260.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	249711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31586.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	249712   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26594.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	249713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76881.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	249714  
Old 04-20-2005, 08:35 PM
imsofaman

Pictures of Scooby Doo ripping up the sky!!!

Knife edges are too fun with this Bee!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21650.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	260739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90746.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	260740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44121.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.0 KB