Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

help convert a Goldberg Skylark 56 to electric

Old 12-01-2004, 08:55 PM
CrashSwiftly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default help convert a Goldberg Skylark 56 to electric

I just picked up a Goldberg Skylark 40 Arf and seriously want to make it electric but I have NO idea what I need to do to accomplish this.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHUU0&P=0]Skylark[/link]

None of my club members fly electric other than the TOY jobs like Parkzone J-3's -Don't take that the wrong way, I have one too and LOVE it but it's still a toy compared to the power of nitro.

I know it is now possible to take a nitro and convert to E without sacrificing performance so I figured this is a great plane to prove it with.

As this is the first attempt I have ever made to try electric I am tottaly lost so any and all advise is most welcome. I need to learn.

I want the plane to out perform a similar .46 glow powered plane and hope a flight time of at least 5 minutes is possible???

I have the triton charger so Li-Po is fine if needed and price isn't a limiting factor.

I have been told by everyone in my club that electrics absolutly WILL NOT make a glow powered plane fly any better than park style slow at best but I know it can... Please help me prove it to my club. Maybe more in my club will then try to learn before they bash.

Thanks!

Crash
Old 12-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: help convert a Goldberg Skylark 56 to electric

This will be fun!

I understand that you have been reading the forums a bit, as you posted very good info about how you want this convertion made

DonĀ“t say you have no ide how to do this, you already have a good charger, you know about li-pos and you know that price is the only limiting factor on the performance you want. so we have a good start here.

this plane on a 46 glow would probably fly about 60mph and have like 1:1 thrust/weight ratio. the avarage .40 plane weigh in at about 5.5lb + fuel. so letĀ“s say we want power for a 6lb plane.

watt/lb rule says 100watts/lb for 1:1 thrust/weight ratio, so we want about 600watts input. maybe a bit more.

which motors and battery can handle 6-700watts then... a 4cell li-po pack would provide 700watts at 50Amps which is good. so a 4s3p thunderpower 6000 would be good.

Then a motor for this.... there are about 100 motor that would fit this plane. (you want to swing a 14-16" prop)

Outrunners are quiet, durable while geard motors makes a bit more noise, are a bit more fragile, but deliver more power for the same motorweight.

AXI 4120/14, about 700watts with a 14x10, 15x7

Next step
Plettenberg Orbit 25-14 or 25-18 700watts 14-15"

My choice Hacker B50L 6,7:1 of a proper wind, swinging a 16x10 more fragile, but awsome power.

hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:32 AM
CrashSwiftly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply,

I read up on the items you listed and think I may go with the AXI 4120/14 and Thunder Power 4s3p 6000MaH

If what I am understanding is correct, this combination should make the plane fly with at least the same authority as it would on a glow .46

What kind of flight time can I expect with this setup ?

Would a 4s4p simply extend the run time without adding to performance?

Also, (Sorry...Questions,Questions....) What controller would I need for this setup?

Thx
Crash
Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 PM
oracle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also, check this review out. It's a electric conversion on a .40 to .46 Razor 3-D Flyer. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=272]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=272[/link]
The review also has videos of the flight. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi

Yeah a 4s4p will extend the flight time, also make the avarage C lower (still 50Amps, but larger capacity, less load/cell)

I have not run the AXI my self but looking at the numbers it should work well, motocalc says 6.16lb thust and about 45amps with a 14x7. could probably go 15x7 too, or 14x10 if you need more speed. IĀ“m pretty sure it will perform like a hot 46 or ordinary .60

search the forums for this motor and see what you find.

flight time would be somewhere around 20-30min on a 4s4p depending on how much you use the throttle.