Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

102" C-130 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 102" C-130 conversion

Hello all, I'm fairly new to electrics and I was wanting to build a multi-engine job. This plane is 102" 12 to 17 lbs. uses 4 26 4strokes. I would like to use outrunner motors and lipo batts. Any recommendations. I would like at least 10 minutes fly time and keep the wieght down to a minumim.

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 12-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 102" C-130 conversion

Hi Kelly,

Multi-engine planes is where electric power really stands out for unparalleled reliability.

Depending upon your desired performance goals, there are a number of choices. Check out my P-82 Twin Mustang thread in this forum for an initial idea.

The best motor choice may reside in its size or in its ability to use a 3-cell Lithium pack instead of 4-cells. Both the cost and the complexity will drop when using 3-cell packs.

Consider the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm]AXI 2826/10 or 12[/link] motor. If we assume excellent performance will be had at 100 watts per pound then at 15lbs, you'll need 1500 watts of power.

Since I am flying a 6lb plane using a single 2826/12 motor (see [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/taxicup.htm]Graupner Taxi Cup II[/link]) you should have no problem flying a 15lb plane on four of these motors. Each motor would use its own Jeti 40amp ESC and 3-cell Lithium pack.

What is your desired prop size?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:45 AM
zipman
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 102" C-130 conversion

HI Kelly,

Here is a link to one of the E-flight Gurus and his fantastic aircraft. Check the specs on some of Ivan's multi engined 100 plus inch span models. He mostly uses brushed motors and you will see the performance he gets. I feel the best options for a person new to any thing is to use what has worked. This is just my opinion. If brushless is what you want and can afford by all means go for it. Anyone on a budget can still get great performance and efficiency on brushed motors like Ivan has with Magnetic Mayhem geared motors and regular nicads. Also you might want to checkout the electric forums at www.rcgroups.com for lots of neat eflight info. Their is a set of c-130 plans being sold on EBAY I think by Uncle Willie that uses 05 brushed motors in the 102 inch span size.

Good luck and I hope I was able to help.

http://www.geocities.com/ivansplans/

Stan