Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

convertinc DC-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Roger Q.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertinc DC-3

All conversion experts: I currently am planning on converting Top Flite's big DC-3 from "gas" to 2 Astro Cobalt, geared 25's. I have 2 8 cell packs: 3300 mha batteries. I have been building and flying for overe 40 years, so I don't need basic advice: but does anyone have any specific ideas on taking some weight out of this plane? I am putting retracts in it also. It is a beautiful kit, with good instructions, and it seems to be designed and built to be strong, but light. However, I thought someone might have some, as I said before, specific ideas on how to lighten it up. Thanks. Roger
Old 01-09-2005, 05:39 AM
luc-RCU

Default RE: convertinc DC-3

use li po packs...or brushless outrunners (or both)
Old 01-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Roger Q.

thanks for the suggestions about the motors and batteries: I understand what you say, and wanted to use li-polys, and outrunner motors, but I allready have the batteries and astro motors, and money just isn't there to convert. So........Thanks again. roger
Old 01-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Roger,

You're probably going to find that very few people have built this plane, let alone built it for electric. Even fewer are those who built the plane, built it for electric, AND read this forum religiously... Building is a dying art, and Top Flite Gold Edition kits are traditionally "ambitious" kits to build. So, hopefully you can take more generic advice and run with it.

To run on the power systems you've got, the plane is definitely going to have to shed some serious pounds. Otherwise, the plane's going to be no fun to fly. Are you looking to run 16 cells and put the motors in parallel? That'll give you the power for decent performance on a 10-12 pound airplane, but you'll have extremely short flight times.

The typical "lighten it for electric" mantra goes something like this: Replace aircraft ply with lite ply. Replace lite ply with balsa. Use stick structures where you see balsa sheets, or make lightening holes. Sorry, this is the best help I can give.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember the 1900´s.. batteries were round and motors did spark... then the guys really could build!! there were F3A planes weighing 4kg on 30 roundcells! nowdays it seem impossible.

so check around the forums for building technikes and as Matt said, get rid of all plywood. And yout Astros will pull this bird easy, with 15min flights possible!!

good luck
Old 01-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Roger Q.

Henke: thanks a bunch for the supportive note: I am sure the DC-3 will fly with the equipment I am putting together for it. I have some ideas about lightening the plane, i.e., lightening holes in ailerons where fabric covers the base balsa materials. Same with rudder and elevator. There is a bunch of material that can be taken from the plywood formers in the fuselage also. The wing is another matter: built strong and heavy, but at the same time, it has to be, with the landing gear involved. However, that is the fun, and the joy of modeling; working on projects, making changes, going for new methodologies and styles. Wish me luck. Roger
Old 01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

String and heavy does often come togeather, though they should´t... it´s always hard to lighten a ready buildt wing :-/ it´s doable! lot´s of cuting and sanding. also the day you deside to go Li-po you will drop well over a pound

my Kyosho .40 cap went from 9lb flown on 18 round cells down to 4.18lb with a lighter motorsystem, LOT´s of cutting and recovering, and I still had better thrut to weight ratio then the heavier setup