Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Phoenix FunStar

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:04 PM
shag555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix FunStar

I'm converting a Phoenix FunStar to Electric power. I've stripped off covering and have lightened the airframe (including landing gear) to 23 Oz. I want to maintain 3D aspect of this plane and am wondering what HiMaxx or Axi motor to install. I've reviewed posts on the Funtana 40 posted here and thought I'd go with a similar setup, until I saw how light the airframe is.

I really don't want to apply overkill with motor and batteries as more powerful batteries and motor equate to more $$$!

I'm also looking for long duration flights (+20 minutes). I'm guessing by other posts, that I'll be able to keep the flying weight to somewhere in the 4 lb. vicinity (high torque mini servos LiPos etc.). Is there a light weight film covering (I.E. lighter weight than monokote, ultrakote, etc)?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Phoenix FunStar

Econokote, Towerkote, and Solarfilm are all lightweight coverings, somewhere in between Monokote and tissue as far as strength and weight are concerned. Since there is no fuel residue, they don't need to be fuelproof.

Duration may need to be sacrificed in the name of weight savings, if 3D performance is one of your requirements. If you can save a few ounces by cutting your battery weight in half, and live with 10 minute flights, you'll be rewarded with improved performance with no perceptible loss of power.

Now to the power system... 4lbs... For 3D, 125 Watts per pound is none too much, so we need to shoot for a minimum of 500 Watts, maybe more. I would recommend a 4S LiPoly of some sort, drawing at least 35 Amps, maybe 40 Amps.

The problem with AXis in a .40-size 3D plane is, the 2826 series is too "hot" to spin a large enough prop, and the 4120 is too heavy. Much as I hate to admit it, there isn't an AXi solution to every problem

A lightweight geared motor would, IMHO, be a much better choice here. You can gear the bejeezus out if it and spin a much larger prop than you could hope to turn with an AXI, and gain a whole bunch of 3D efficiency there.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:29 PM
shag555

Default RE: Phoenix FunStar

I contacted Espirit Model out of FL... They said that a geared HiMaxx (HA3618 3043) would do the trick nicely and recommended a TP6000 3S3P battery. I worked the numbers on weight and this plane should fall very near 3 lbs.

Is there any experienced battery gurus here that know if I can combine two LiPo packs to get the same horsepower?

Espirit's Quote: "For your application go with: HA3618 3043 (4.3:1), 14x7, TP6000 3S3P battery."