Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Glow to Electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Gullwing72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow to Electric

I just bought a Great Planes Combat Corsair. It is rated for .10 to .15 glow, and flight weight is 2.5 to 3 lbs. I am going to convert it to electric. I am looking at the AXI 2814/12 with Jeti 30amp motor control. Has anyone converted this plane or one simular? Maybe some suggestions from someone experenced in changing over glow to electric....thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Glow to Electric

I think the 2814/12 will be a bit light on power level and would recommend using the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2820.htm]2820/10[/link] with the JESAP40W Jeti Advance PLUS 40 with Programming Card. This ESC still has the BEC feature so you don't need a receiver battery.

You could use a 10" 3-blade prop with either a 10-cell NiMH pack or 3-cell Lithium pack and it would look and fly awesome!

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Joe Papa

I have the same plane also and am planning to do a conversion in the future as well. I figured on using an Phoenix-35, AXI 2820/10 swinging maybe an 11X7 APC "E" prop on a TP 3s2p 4200 mah lipo pack. I calculate that it will weigh in at 3lbs. I would like to add landing gear on this, but I think the plane will have a fairly high wing loading and be very difficult to slow down. If I have to keep it as a belly slider, then I will probably use flaperons. What do you guys think?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Darrell B.

The 2820-10 is a very capable setup for this size plane. I have mine in NE Sailplanes Vermont Bell. I weight just over 50 oz and flies very nicely. I am using an APC 12x6 prop because I wanted the help slowing it down to land, so I know that this motor will turn it quite nicely. I'm using one of the older Jeti 40 amp ESC with lipo support. It won't go totally vertical as far as hovering on the prop but it does all of the aerobatics that I throw at it quite easily. I'm using some of the older Kokam 8c batteries in a 3s 4500mAh arangement. I think that the 3s 4200 thunderpower would really help trim the weight, and give good performance!

Good Luck,
Darrell B.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Gullwing72

Thanks for all the help guys I think I will go with the 2820-10. I just read the specs. I think it will make for more power and better flights.....
Old 04-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Joe Papa,

Flaperons are probably not a good idea on a plane like the F4U. They'll slow the plane down, but they'll make it less stable and more prone to tip stalling. The extra drag at the wing tips will cause them to stall first, and you don't want that.

Notice that all full-scale airplanes have the flaps on the inboard sections of the wings, never out at the tips where the ailerons are. That's so the wing tips stay flying even when the middle part has stalled, and the plane stays upright and stable. The still-flying wingtips act like outriggers and keep the plane from flipping over until the middle section of the wing starts flying again.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Joe Papa

Hmm, would not raising both ailerons a few degrees "up" delay stalling?[sm=confused.gif] Kind of like adding washout to the wings. I would love to add real inboard flaps to the wings, but I think it would require major reconstruction. Split flaps might be a possibility though. I guess I should have called them "spoilerons" instead.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Gullwing72

Greg I know this is an old post but I one more question about the GP Corsair....You said the the AXI 2820 would be a good choice on the 2.5 to 3 lbs plane. The guy at the LHS is insisting that it would be too much... He says the 2808 would be more than enough. I've looked at the specs. it will fly a 3 to 3.4 lb plane but now I'm stuck. I don't want to grandpa around the field but I also not looking to break speed records or do vericals for ever and a day. I'm going to be using the Thunder Power 4200mah 11.1 v bat. and a 3 blade prop for looks. Thank you for any help......
Old 05-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Darrell B.

Go for the 2820 on your 3 pound airplane. I have the Vermont Bell with one on it, AUW is 51 oz and it will fly very nicely. Great big loops, good vertical lines, but not unlimited. Good knife edge, and plenty of flight time with a 4500mAh pack. I have a House of Balsa P-51 with the 2808 in it. AUW is 28oz and it flys quite nicely. My rule of thumb is to look at the weight range that Hobby Lobby lists for these motors and don't excede the lowest listed number by more that 10%. The 2808 would probably fly your 3# airplane but as you said you would be grandpaing around the field. JMHO

Good Luck,
Darrell B.