Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Tiger Moth Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiger Moth Conversion

I have a 1/4 scale Duncan Hutson Tiger Moth that may make a nice conversion to electric vs. a 4 stroke 1.20. Have been involved for a number of years flying IC engines I'd be interested in converting the Moth to electric. I'd like to know from your opinions what would be a good power system to use. I'd expect flying weight to be between 15 to 18 lbs. I'd like to apply these lessons learned to other large 1/4 scale models as well (Proctor Nieuport 28 and Eindecker as examples).
Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 PM
shv2sail
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tiger Moth Conversion

I'd be interested to see what folks suggest as well. I have a 1/4 scale Waco that came with the same glow engine of your Moth that I'll be converting to 'e' power.

I was told by the original owner that it was a real floater, so i was thinking about going with an Axi 4130/20 outrunner swinging something like an APC 18x6 on 20 round cells (haven't made the LiPo jump yet). I have a 4130/16 that's currently living happily in my H9 AT-6, but I may take it out and use it as a test bed when I get the Waco in flyable condition.

Again, curious for any other suggestions...

shv2sail
Old 05-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tiger Moth Conversion

Sounds good. I expect to fly the Moth in a scale-like manner. Use full power for takeoff, throttle back for cruise flight and full power for aerobatics. A friend suggested using either ni-cad of nimh cells for longer duration but I have to learn quite a bit more about the motors and speed controls. I'm not sure that li-po's would fit the bill with such a large model.