Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Transall C-160

Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
BDREW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Transall C-160

It seems like a few places that sell the transall are out of stock. Where do you guys recommend to buy the transall?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 PM
codimasta

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try : www.ak-models.com

Larry
AMA 11269
Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Van

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my C-160 from Chief Aircraft. I think they may carry the camo version only though.

Here's some shots of my Transall. It's finished, but hasn't flown yet. I made some small modifications. Instead of the unsightly rudder pushrod on the top of the fuse I put mine below. To do this I used a single pushrod for the elevator and then connected the elevator halves with a music wire "U" connector. I then made a rudder torque rod that drops below the fuse and connected the rudder pushrod from there. The picture should help show what I did.

Also shown is a shot of my battery mount tray. The main battery, TP 3S3P, is craddled in position and held with velcro pads and a velcro strap for added security. The plane was tail heavy so I installed a 4 cell, 1000 mah Rx battery in the nose wheel well (also attached to the same battery tray. It, too, is secured with velcro and a velcro strap. The recharge jack and push/pull switch is in the well so it is hidden, yet still easy to get to.

My Transall came in the camo versio (I ordered a white/gray one). I didn't want to go through the hassle of return shipping so I just stripped down the covering, wet sanded the painted parts and recovered/repainted. Despite the extra work I'm happy with the outcome. I did mine in a Royal Australian Air Force scheme. I don't think the Aussies fly these (at least I couldn't find any proof they do), but I thought it'd be different from the others out there.

Weather permitting I'll maiden mine this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85925.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	344013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16161.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	344014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56864.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	344015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16623.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	344016  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:06 PM
BDREW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks great. What size engines are you going to run?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good! Let us know how the maiden goes.

I have all my gear now and just need to throw it all together. I ordered 10x7 and 10x6 four bladed props for my 2820\10s.

-Todd
Old 10-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Edd Spidell

Hi Guys,

Van - the Transall looks GREAT! Nice job with all the details (thats where the devil is...) and best wishes on the maiden.

Overlander - where did you find the 4 blade in those sizes? I was planning on cutting down some old APC to between 8" and 9", with a pitch of 6". Are the ones your going to use from a current supply?

I'm starting back on mine this weekend, work just screws up everything...[:@].

Happy flying and Ace landings,

Edd
Old 10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Work has a way of getting in the way of life.....

I got the props from Tower. They are APC glow props.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Van

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Transall is powered with two AXI 2820-10 motors. My static amps with a 11x5.5 prop should be ~29 amps (per motor) WOT. I think 3 or 4-blade props would look neat, but would drastically increase the amps...plus not be as effecient.

I did some rough weighing on mine. It looks to be about 133 oz (8.3 lbs) RTF, that equates to a 33oz/ft sq wing loading. This sounds a little high, but everyone says it's a floater. The instructions say the weight of the Transall is 2850 grams (6.4 lbs) . I find this rather hard to believe. When I remove the weight of my battery and motors the total weight is 3008 grams (6.7 lbs). Now add gas motors, fuel in the tanks and extra nose weight to balance and there's NO WAY it'll come close to the instruction weight. What weight range are others seeing on their Transalls?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine will have retracts so will likely be pretty heavy.

I did a static test on a single 2820/10 with the 4 blade APC 10x6 on 3S and only got 25amps at WOT on the bench. The amps were not as high as I thought, but I am not sure they will have the power I need.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Van,

I was just running some numbers in Motocalc. I don't know if you trust Motocalc but it seems to be at least in the ballpark for most of my models. Anyway, it does not indicate that current goes up drastically with more blades. In fact, I got 10 more oz of thrust and only 1 more amp when I plugged in 4 blades for a 11x6. What do you make of that?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Van

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just checked my amp draw on my 2820-10 11x5.5 setup. At WOT each motor was pulling ~31 amps and 310 watts for 62 amps and 620 watts total. It had lots of pull and I'm sure I'll not need nearly that much umph for flying. I'll be interested to hear how the 3 and 4-blade props do compaired to 2-blades. Weather permitting I'll do the maiden this weekend.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am racking my brains with these retracts. For as much room as the transall has inside, there is not clearance to swing the main gear all the way up. I will end up just retracting until they hit the roof of the wheel wells. I dont think this will damage the cylinders.

Here is a mockup. The dimensions of the fuse and wheel well are rough, but close enough for this study. I am totally open to ideas. The nosegear is a nightmare of its own.......

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj23438.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	345485  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Van

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Transall maidened today. I wish I had some glowing reports, but mine wasn't as stable as I had hoped. My ailerons seemed a bit to twitchy. I guess I'll need to reduce them a bit. Mine also kept dropping its nose in flight. I thought the wing incidence might be off, but after checking it at home it's 1/2 degree positive compared to the horizontal stab. I do know the motors have some down thrust, but it doesn't seem like an excessive amount to be causing the nose drop. I did fly it around some though and landed reasonably well.

What are others using for elevator and aileron throws and C/G point? After adjustments I'll likely fly it again tomorrow.

On a side note, a fellow electric flier brought out a ducted fan ME-262 today. I'm not sure what motor system he was using, but it did have two 4S3P batteries for power. On taxi out the plane emitted a semi-loud POP followed quickly by smoke. Not good for electrics. The front of the plane burned away and the two battery packs are trashed. Bummer, I was looking forward to watching it fly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ro41943.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	345688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16634.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	345689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40249.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	345690  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Edd Spidell

Hey Todd,

Is there any possibility (and room) to raise both wheel sets straight up, joined together? Kind of like being on linear slides? I was thinking about some form of a leadscrew...just a thought.

Still working on the wing lighting wiring...

Also, how (what tool(s)) did you use to open up the rear hatch/ramp area without dinging up the fuse?

Thanks,

Edd
Old 10-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Edd Spidell

Hi Van,

My C-47 is very twitchy also, which weighs in at 7 pounds. Dial in a decent bit of expo and you should find relief. As far as the drooping nose, I find that most of the time the C.G. needs to be tweeked in, just don't push it too far back. I have a gas/electric conversion Twin Star (Hobbico) that was dead-on, but an UltraStik 40 that needed to get pushed forward by 3/4", and on an on...

Just take your time with the plane - I was very, very impressed with the finished model. Again, great job.

By the way, it just started snowing, here in the woods of Rhode Island...

Peace,

Edd
Old 10-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Edd Spidell

Hey Todd,

Is there any possibility (and room) to raise both wheel sets straight up, joined together? Kind of like being on linear slides? I was thinking about some form of a leadscrew...just a thought.

Still working on the wing lighting wiring...

Also, how (what tool(s)) did you use to open up the rear hatch/ramp area without dinging up the fuse?

Thanks,

Edd
Hey Edd,

I considered a lifting "plate" type main gear and the only mechanisms I was able to think of would be too heavy. I think the simple way is the lightest and best although I am strongly considering keeping the fixed gear but modifying them to fit up in the fuse for a more scale appearance.

For cutting fiberglass, I use a basic Dremel abrasive disk, the thinnnest one I can find. I put masking tape along the lines to act as a guide, then pound a beer and go to it.

-Todd
Old 10-30-2005, 02:00 PM
codimasta

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad you had a good flight...I set my CG at 65mm from the leading edge...the ailerons were twitchy until I added a little expo (30%) . Did not have the nose down problem...wing set 0 degrees in reference to the stab...both engines were set at 0 degrees.
Starting to put the finishing touches...ie..Coast Guard version (Reference CN 235-300)
Orange Banner Strip with USCG Logo, Orange strips on the Rudder with a Stars & Bars in the middle. Stars & Bars on the Top Left wing panel, U.S.C.G. on the Top Right wing panel, reverse on the bottom. Should be finished tomorrow..will post pictures.

Larry
AMA 11269
Old 10-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Van

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Woo-Hoo... Got some good flights on my Transall today. I did shift my C/G back a little, toned down the ailerons with 50% differential and -30 expo. If flew great this time. Mine still liked to nose down some. My wing is +1/2 degree to the tail and the motors have some downthrust, but I haven't measured it. With up elevator trim she was flying straight and level. I think I'll work on working the C/G back more a little at a time to try and remove the need for trim. At least it doesn't seem to porpoise around with different throttle settings. I looks like I used about 5000mah (from my 6000 pack) on a 10 minute flight with two takeoffs and landings. With better throttle management I should be able to extend that. It really doesn't need lots of throttle to fly. I programmed in flap(erons) and will work on slowing down my landings more.

In short, I'm pleased with this project. I can't wait to hear how retracts and cargo dooring openings progress on other birds. Below is a link to a 45 sec/1.1 mb video file of my Transall in flight. The resolution isn't the best, but I was trying to keep the file small enough for easy downloading.

http://media.putfile.com/C-160-Transall
Click here to watch C-160-Transall
Old 10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is great, Van!

Cool video with the roll in there. I hope you had your cargo secured!

I have actually decided against doing retracts on this build for various reasons. However, I still plan on a functioning cargo door. I think I can get away with that without too much weight.

The main reason I wanted retracts was because I felt the stock LG was set up too high and kind of looked funky. So I am modding sthe stock gear to sit up in the wells a little more.

For the nose bay, I moved the gudgeon up .5" and blocked it out forward .75". This allowed for steering clearance. I also used some some smaller, lighter wheels in the nose.
Perhaps more trouble than it is worth, but much less trouble than retracts

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wu60621.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	346315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59215.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	346316  
Old 10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Edd Spidell

Van,

Nice job!!!! The video gives me and my high school students inspiration! We got a finish this before the snow really hits...

You might think of using spoilerons vs. flaperons - tip stall problems from "wash-in"; just a thought...

Edd
Old 10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Van

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I want to keep the flaperon vs spoilerons to help slow down the plane during landing, vs the killing lift of spoilerons. Since the Transall using full stip ailerons I'm not to worried about 'some' flaperon action. Now I wouldn't use flaperons on a plane with 'barn-door' type ailerons ad they would most certainly lead to tip-stalling problems.

My Transall needed more up elevator trim than I like. I'm going to shift the C/G from the 25% to 30% mark or about 2.9" aft of the LE. I should be able to do this by simply moving the Rx battery from the nose and plane it farther back. I likely won't be able to make it out again until next Sunday. We've got an electric fly-in the weekend after next and I certainly plan on flying the Transall there.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Van

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Overlander, Your gear placement looks good. I've noticed two things about the Transalls available. The landing gear on the GSP version sit farther up in main wheel well than the ones from E-Bay (AK-models?). Both have very large nose wheels. I used the stock wheels for the mains and opted for smaller ones up front. I didn't think the wheels looked all of that noticable in flight anyway. Retracts would be neat, but I agree it'd be a pain to do and might not really be worth the effort...now the cargo door is another thing...
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 PM
algutkin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm really glad I found this forum, just reading the posts have really helped me to convert my thinking from Nitro to Electric.

My conversion started with the Polk C47. I read about the kit in one of the magazines and really got excited about seeing the big twin fly. This was short lived as the reporter for the magazine must have been sniffing too much of something. The Polk C47 is a sled. Hobby Lobby saved the day. I did my research, read the conversion threads, watched all of Greg's videos at least twice and finally learned enough to buy those 2820/10 motors, Opti controllers and three 3 cell, 15c, 2000mah Kokam packs. Because of this thread and the interest in the Transall, I also ordered and just received the C-160, which will come next. I think the Transall is probably a much better base kit to modify, however it is too late, have to finish the C47 first.

The C47 conversion is now complete and the engines werr static tested this past weekend. The amp readings per side were just as you guys reported, 25 amps with 9 by 6 props, 30 amps with 10 by 6s. Oh I forgot to mention I moved the engine nacelles outward as much as possible, so the larger props could be used. I also increased the main gear hight by 1/4 inch to provide more ground clearance. The project is almost ready to fly, except for some minor mods and balancing.

Flying is Southern California is the hard part, there is no space left. Houses and people don't mix with RC anything. Please keep this thread active, we all are looking forward to more C-160 videos. Oh, regarding the C-160 video. Was it the video, or did that aircraft land pretty hot? I was hoping that the C-160 would be like it's brother the C130, and be a short takeoff and landing bird. Also capable of operating in rough terrain. Hey, I'm willing to learn, please keep up the interest.
Al Gutkin
Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Overlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Snow Edd?!

I just took the kids trick-or-treating in a t-shirt and shorts

Say Larry,

Did you remove the blue covering on the wings for the Coast Gaurd build? Also, did you find a Coast Gaurd emblem for the red cheveron?

-Todd
Old 11-01-2005, 12:01 AM
codimasta

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No I didnot remove the BLUE leading edge yet....I should have some pictures tomorrow..
I am not a true scale guy. I didnot paint the rudder full...just added 2 ea. 2" strips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tr51728.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	346873   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10864.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	346874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35237.jpg