Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Transall C-160

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Edd Spidell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transall C-160

Gehr2box,

Thanks for the heads-up, the problem is that he was paid and didn't respond to e-mails I sent requesting a tracking number, which I still don't have at this time. A friend at UPS had the database searched and did not find anything shipped by NYG to me in the system. If this deal goes down bad, I will make an issue of it.

From what I can see, you won the bid for the White C-160, on Nov 17, so I will be interested when you receive yours

Edd
Old 11-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Van

Edd, I hope all goes well with your plane from NY Grace. Hopefully everything comes out okay.

As for your Slinger...well, let's just say it's hard to type and laugh at the same time. Hope you get it back before the summer thaw.[:@]
Old 11-28-2006, 06:49 PM
gman
My Feedback: (1)

Heck guys I ate too much Turkey Bird. I became delirious and pre ordered the Herky Bird and gear last week.....can't wait. Twenty five flights on the C-160. I pulled everything out of her ( groan ) and am waiting for the C-130. Now I only Have to buy two more motors and systems. !QUOT! birp !QUOT! excuse me. I also pre ordered the Spectrum DX-7 Radio sys. to put in the 130. Now I will be sleepin' in tha shop cause I don't have any funds left for the wife's Christmas gift. Oh well, at least I have the right priorities.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
gman

100 inches.....sure glad my model hauler is a 15 passenger Ford Van.......Ok potiential C-130 pilots, we are going to have to talk about a nose numbering sequence.......

Is this ZULU coordinated time?..............
Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 PM
gehr2box

Larry,

I'm trying to decide on the most efficient motor's for my Transall. I'm tossed between the AXI 2814/10's you've used and the 2820/10's others have selected. Are you satisfied with your motors in this application? I'm not looking to over-power the plane. It looks like the 2814's pull 10 less amps (ie longer motor run on the same pack). Based on Hobby Lobby's info the 2814 should be the right choice so long as it stays at under 9 lbs.

I fly from grass, already have 3s2p 4000mah packs and had planned to use JETI 70 opto ESC's (less stress on the ESC and I already have one not in use)

Thanks
Bud
Old 11-29-2006, 09:40 AM
algutkin

Gman,

If you use the Ford Van, and pull out all 15 seats, where are all the other people at the home going to sit? Perpaps a yellow school bus should be purchased.

PS. You beat me to ordering, I didn't do it yet. That means, you will have to start a build thread first. I suggest you start threads in both major sites at the same time, this one and rcgroups.com

Al
Old 11-29-2006, 10:07 AM
gman

I know. I have van seat sofas in every room in the house but the bathrooms. The nice thing about a 15 pass. V-10 van is that one can leave one bench seat (sofa) in and still get enough big planes in there to fly at three different fields per week end. Did I mention trailer? May do the build thread unless someone has more time. 100 inches...wow. I laid that distance out on the office floor, holy wing-a-gator.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90489.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	568712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83475.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	568713  
Old 11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
algutkin

I just did a KMP B25 at 85 inches and I thought that was big, now, I'm doing a VQwarbirds P61 that's even larger. My son made a big fuss about me letting the club president crash my B25, so I got a replacement, to be delivered Dec 1.

You guys have no idea that you are communicating with some sick people out there, mainly me. Van probably knows, but who else has a clue? I have an accounting office, give advice to other business people, but, they have no idea how screwed up I am with my hobby stuff. Just last week I had to trade in my Lexus SUV in order to move up in size to a new Tahoe, now, the Tahoe looks small. Darn, Real Estate in CA is at a premium, the storage yards are full, and I don't have room for a nice trailer like yours. I need to crash more planes or see a shrink. Too bad we don't live closer, I'd ask you for the name of yours.

Al
Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 PM
gman

You are correct. Never know who your talkin' with on the net. My shrinks have all given up on me.........BTW I just received my NitroPlanes ARF Bobcat pusher jet.. Very nice.....now I gotta call Dubb Jett and order a $350 .60cc to make her go fast, then the $100 tunned pipe.....and the beat goes on....sure glad I got that trailer were I can live in it once the wife walks into my shop....would just stay in the shop but there's too many new ARF's in there already........somebody call 911 before I try to sell her so I can order more ARF's.............Darn it China quit it......" ARF, ARF, shiver ARF, ARF........."
Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
gman

BTW Al I 've got everything now to start my VQ-P-61. How's the build going?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 PM
algutkin

Gman,

http://www.rcgroups.com

navigate to the forums, then down to conversions, click on it, check out the VQWarbirds P61 build. Guess Who?

You might want to register and participate, then you will have two sites to follow.

Al
Old 11-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Van

Y'all are really SICK! I've only got a Outlander to put my stuff in so I have to stay small'er'. I think if I tried to talk my wife into something big she'd really think I'm out of my mine. On the up side...I can still put two cars in our 3-car garage. [:@]
Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 AM
algutkin

Geeze, I dream about having a three car garage, only have a two at the moment with one car in it. The other side is loaded with airplanes and airplane building equipment that my wife constantly looks at, then makes an ugly face.

If I rent a place to store more stuff, it will be an apartment loaded with a girlfriend that won't mind sharing space with hobby supplies and epoxy. Not a bad idea, huh?

Al
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM
gman

Between marriages I discovered that girl friends make faces at airplanes too.........The pre-nup with Number four wife is , Tha planes were here when you showed up and they will still be here when your gone. She's a keeper though, she doesn't make faces at the planes and never sez a word about my plane insanity ARF,....ARF............she does complain about my continuous barking...
Old 11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Edd Spidell

Oh My God,

Al and Gman, you guys are way too funny, and right on point! I really appreciate the humor. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, we are breaking records here - it hit 69*F at my home today. Last time it was this warm was about 125 years ago. I'll let Al do the commentary on that....

Got the Ebay C-160 today (WillHobby), and it came in perfect condition, albeit 20 days after the payment. I have already checked the horz stab to main wing incidence, and this one needs shimming under the wing also, more than the first. This stab is a slide-thru, as Newalan (UK) had found out and stated in an earlier post. The paint job is really bad though, so I think I will be my students an airbrush setup, and let them dress it up - black with red outline stripes.

Three weeks to Christmas Vacation! Going to Tahoe and ski with my youngest son. My oldest, the Air Force pilot in Egypt, turns 26 tomorrow, where has the time gone...

Best regards to everyone,

Edd
Old 11-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Van

Same here. The current wife creature came AFTER I was flying. In 14 years of marriage she's come to me to the field once (I think), but used to come to club meetings with me (held in a restaurant of course ). Now she brings the boxes in and leaves them at the front door...never telling me anything's arrived of course. I routinely check the front door everytime I come home now!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:56 PM
gehr2box

My wife used to come to the field with me and watch me fly when I first got into the hobby 27 years ago. She stopped coming after a while, kids job, etc. I didn't know it, but she had always wanted to fly, but never brought it up because she thought my time at the field was my time to get away and be with the guys.

This summer one of the guys at the club gave me an old senior telemaster kit. I told her that if she was interested I'd build it for her and teach her to fly. She has since soloed and flys with me every weekend.

ORIGINAL: Van

Same here. The current wife creature came AFTER I was flying. In 14 years of marriage she's come to me to the field once (I think), but used to come to club meetings with me (held in a restaurant of course ). Now she brings the boxes in and leaves them at the front door...never telling me anything's arrived of course. I routinely check the front door everytime I come home now!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
gehr2box

Edd,

My C-160 showed up a few minutes ago. eBay White version, slide in stab. Perfect condition. Man all those wheels! Quite a deal for $110. Still don't know what I'll use to power it.

Has anyone put any thought to doing one up like an AC-130?

Bud

ORIGINAL: Edd Spidell

Oh My God,

Al and Gman, you guys are way too funny, and right on point! I really appreciate the humor. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, we are breaking records here - it hit 69*F at my home today. Last time it was this warm was about 125 years ago. I'll let Al do the commentary on that....

Got the Ebay C-160 today (WillHobby), and it came in perfect condition, albeit 20 days after the payment. I have already checked the horz stab to main wing incidence, and this one needs shimming under the wing also, more than the first. This stab is a slide-thru, as Newalan (UK) had found out and stated in an earlier post. The paint job is really bad though, so I think I will be my students an airbrush setup, and let them dress it up - black with red outline stripes.

Three weeks to Christmas Vacation! Going to Tahoe and ski with my youngest son. My oldest, the Air Force pilot in Egypt, turns 26 tomorrow, where has the time gone...

Best regards to everyone,

Edd
Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
dieselrotor

Hey current 160er's.
With a wieght of up to 8.5 lbs. Do you Guy's think "two brushless Park outrunner,450 890kv EFLM1400 motors" would be sufficient to fly My CMP 160 ?? using two 25amp ESC's and two Thunder power 2200mah 11.1 volt 3s batteries.??? I am thinking two' 2s would do it but I want to run the c130 retracts someday so I want to go with the 3s's???
Greg.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Edd Spidell

Hi Gang,

The weather is weird - 68*F with a HUGE electrical storm on the way from the sound/look of things...time to get the Li-poly's hooked up to the kite...

Okay here it goes:

Dieselrotor - your C-160 will be a flying experiment waiting to go bad with that power setup. You need at least 250-300 watts total just to keep it up, no pun intended. You need more to get it up.... I am flying my Mini Ultra-Stick with the E-flite 480, which gives it unlimited vertical, but a pair of 450's in the Transall - no way. Also, batteries need to be at least 6000mA total, minimum of 3S also. We have posted so many good power combo's on this thread that are tested and work that it is money in the bank for you - you can select the stuff that works (Van-Al-Alan-Gman & more like out-runners, I only use in-runners on twins). So spend some time reading, this really is the build manual.

Bud - Glad to hear that Jerry came through for you as he did for Al, and finally me. Truthfully, it was way too slow, but I am over that now that it is in my students hands. The toss-up now is color to paint it, Gunship Gray (like the ghost C-130's I was assigned to), or early Spectre Black with red outline stripes. And they want to do "nose-art". God help me.....

Going to shut down - rumbles in the distance.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 PM
RMSINSD

Hey guys, I'm about a week away from maidening my C-160. I'll be using two "Dualsky" motors, two parallel 4S Evo 3700mah packs & two 9x6 APC-E props. Each give me 30A, total 60A, X 15V average, for a Watt reading of 900W (ingoing). AUW is 8lbs 4oz, so I'm confident I have enough power.

What I'd like to know from those who have had successful flights is the CG. Manual says ~65mm from the LE, but I've heard folks saying they've gone up to ~78mm. That seems a lot, but experience tells. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! This is a LONG thread! The most recent mention was 68mm.

(By the way, I'm sneaking around over here. usually I'm on E-Zone - can I say E-Zone? - but their C-160 thread isn't as extensive or filled with as much experience.)
Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Edd Spidell

Robert,

Sounds like you should have plenty of power. Mine uses about 250-300 watts total in-flight. You need to check the wing to horz stab incidence, as most (not all) of the main wings on these planes need to be shimmed to zero this out. The C.G. has been taken to 85mm back by me, from a starting point of around 65mm. Just let the plane get decent speed on the ground before you decide to up-elevator, and be prepared to have a hotter than normal landing. Most of us have also had to beef-up the supports around the nosewheel and main gear area, another weak spot.

Best wishes on a successful maiden and welcome to this thread. You can thank Codimasta (Larry) for getting this all started!

Regards,

Edd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76686.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	572023  
Old 12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
algutkin

Edd,

I really like the picture of you and the C-160. However, it could be better, you look like a King Kong size compared to the airplane. Perhaps one of the students can doctor up the photo and modify you to look more scale?

Al
Old 12-05-2006, 08:57 PM
bigbobed

Charlie (gman), forget the C130 and spend you electric bucks here.
http://www.jethangar.com/Index/index.html
Old 12-06-2006, 02:43 AM
algutkin

Hey, no thanks to the Corsair, the C-130 will do just fine. Jets are a little to pricey.

However, after looking at the video, the pilot makes my flying look OK. His approach and landing was really bad for a jet jockey, I would be ashamed to post it. After all, RC jet pilots don't talk to us electric guys, they think that they are a step above.

Perhaps you should start a new thead titled, converting a turbine to a turbine. Wait a minute, that's not a conversion is it? How about converting an electric to an electric? Nope that's not a conversion either. Right time, wrong place.

Anyhow, if you bought one, post the progress in a new build thread with pictures. Better still lets get two of those turbine motors and stick them in the C-160. I will put up the C-160 and components, you put up the turbines...deal, or no deal?

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.