Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Twin Glow Engine Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:37 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Glow Engine Conversion

I am considering a Scale Project, it will be a Twin Otter; the plan calls for 2 X 60 2/stroke or 2 X 90 4/stroke and a projected weight at about 18lbs(with glow engines); because of the narrowness of the engine compartments/cowl and the need to hide the exhaust for all out scale appearance; further to maintain scale the use of 3 bladed props is also needed; I want to consider Electric power as a solution.

Is there electric power to meet my requirements; are moters and batteries out there available. This would be my first use of E Power of this size; other than some indoor stuff I have, that I use in the winter, mostly GWS stuff.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Twin Glow Engine Conversion

Oh heck yeah, that can easily be electrified. 60-size electric has been around and practical for a while now. Still a little expensive on the up-front cost, but otherwise do-able.

As a general rule of thumb, you would replace a .60 2-stroke with a 20-cell NiMH or 6S LiPoly system, especially in sport and scale aircraft. A motor like the AXi 4130/16 will spin a 14x10 3-bladed prop on that 6S LiPoly pack and give you plenty of Watts.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:04 AM
dasintex

Any problems with a twin set up; I would think you need 2 batteries, one for each or could you get a bigger pack to power both moters; also, would you need 2 speed controlers, 'y' conecctor them into throttle channel. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:32 AM
Cdallas2

What plans are you using?

And where did you get them?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:39 PM
dasintex

No plans yet; Plans and kit will be available in the Summer of 2006 by www.mraerodesign.com I'm just doing some preliminary research/planning for now; I plan on building this plane to Scale Masters/Top Gun quality
Old 08-24-2005, 05:26 PM
feathermerchant

My twin CAP232 uses 2 of everything. Two motors, speed controls, receivers. Works well.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352940
Program epeed controllers for 'fixed throttle' so the motors run together and you can use a Y into the receiver if you want.