Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

prop for TF p-51 mustang ?

Hello guys,
    I have just bought a gold edition TF p-51 mustang. I am going to use following setup;

motor, Actro 60-175
    Jeti advance 90 controller
    10s2p Polyquest 4000
    Hitec servos 5625
    Robart robostruts series 500 673 L&R 1/2 dia
    Spring Air retracts HD-403
    Ultra Precision up-2 and up-3 retract valves with automatic door control.
    True turn spinner
    Scale cockpit from Dbalsa
    Scale main wheels from Aerotech models
    scale pilot from Blue Box

I want to know what prop to use with this setup. either a 3-blade or a 4-blade.

Can I go with Menz wooden props or maybe a 3- or 4-blade solo prop with adjustable pitch?

What size do you recommend?

Thanks for your help
    Kenneth from Sweden

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: prop for TF p-51 mustang ?

What 2-blade prop are they recommending for that setup? We can extrapolate the equivalent 3 or 4 blade prop from that.

Nothing stopping you from using a Menz, or whatever prop you like. In fact, you'll have to in this case because that's the only way you'll get a 3 or 4-bladed prop. The main reason behind "electric only" props is weight, because you don't need all that extra material to withstand the banging from the engine, and lighter is better.

Frankly, unless you did it up as an early Allison-powered prototype P-51, go with the 4-bladed prop. It won't look right otherwise

Hello Matt, thanks for your answer.
    I am currently using this setup on a Wild Hare Extra 300 special 28%.
    The props we have used are APCE 27x13 and 26x13. and they work fine, but that is an aerobatic airplane and I donΒ΄t think that we are going for that much pitch in a warbird like the p-51. The pitch will reduce when changing to a 3- or 4-blade, but must I go down in size?

I think APCE have 3-blade props. Maybe I should try one of those?

best regard
    Kenneth

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kenneth,

I think that because of the drop in rpm's, you will want to stay with a higher pitch, in order to keep your flight speed up. Most of the mustangs are flying in the 70 to 100 mph range at WOT. Have you looked at the SOLO props? THey were working on a 4 bladed version and already have the 3 blade available. They have some nice scale looking blades for their props as well. The only problem wiith all of these is going to be the added weight out on the end of your motor. The Mustang has a longer nose than what you are currently flying, and I think that you will find it coming out quite nose heavy. On my Giant P-51 ARF I had to place the batteries clear back in the battery compartment, just in front of the cockpit, and it is still some noseheavy. Best of luck on your project, and by all means keep us informed on your progress.
    Darrell B.

Thanks Darrel for your answer. I have just ordered a 24 " 4-blade prop from Soloprops. They have just begun to make a special prop for p-51 mustangs. This will be very interesting. I donΒ΄t think there will be any problems with the cg since the lipos can be moved back very easily. I will keep you informed when I get the prop from Solo

Kenneth

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So what would a scale diameter prop for this P-51 be?
    For my H9 ARF it is about 20" or so but I'm flying an APCE 16X12 or 16X10
    No way I can fly a scale 4 blade prop on my AXI 4130/16

The scale prop for this p-51 would be 26" x24 so the 24" would be very close. If it works well i might try the 26" to get the exact scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will be very interesting to test this! if the 175 pulls the 4x24 nice and one wants to pull 4x26" im sure that a lower kv actro 60 can handle this, maby the 60-140, it only draws 48A on 10s Lipo (35,5v) with big 27x13" prop torq monster.

http://wattsup.se/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well we finally got our electrified TopFlite Giant Scale P-51d into the air and it was a great success with the 24" SoloProp 4 blader. The plane had more than enough power and the throttle never made it all the way to 50% in this first effort. A last minute air leak prevented us from retracting the gear which was too bad and caused the tail wheel collapse on the bouncy first landing.

Here is our setup
    weight with lipos: 25 lbs.
    NeuMotors 2215/1.5y
    JetiSpin200 ESC
    2, ThunderPower 6s, 9000 mAh lipos in series producing 12s, 9000 mAh
    SoloProp 24" 4 bladed scale prop (Carl Peter was very responsive to lots of questions and he coordinated with Tru-Turn to make it all come together)
    www.soloprops.com
    Tru-Turn custom cut spinner (thanks Ric and Stephanie for your tireless effort to match this new prop to your spinner and make the mounting work safely!)

Here is a short video to prove its not a static prop:
    motor spool up

and here is a long video of the maiden flight (it was shot in HD format and converted to MPEG2 so the download could take a minute)

Maiden Flight...Zoom!

Recharge after flight replaces 2300 mAh of the 9000 mAh capacity in the 12s setup

For the Gold Edition, which is 1/7 scale, you would want a blade that is around 19" to 19 1/4" in diameter to be scale. APC makes some 4 blades, but the largest is only 15.5 x 12.5. If you went with the SoloProps, I would think that the best choice would be the 18".

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There was no science to my picking a 24" prop. I was guessing at a close match to the motor's need for power and the lipos' output. If you are right I may have guessed wrong for scale. This may have a happy ending since I had way too much power from my motor, battery, prop combination. An 18-20" prop would probably do just fine. But what is scale? Top Flite doesn't mention scale on its website but they call their ARF's wing span 84.5". Full scale P-51's had a wingspan of 37.04 feet or 444.48 inches and a prop diameter of 13'2" (158 inches). If I recall my high school algebra correctly and set of a ratio of 84.5/444.48=158x then solve for x by cross multiplying 13,351=448.48x and solving for x I get 30 inches as the scale prop size. So what am I doing wrong?