Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 PM
SkullSplitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions

Hi All,

I just am getting started into the whole RC Airplane scene. However, I have decided to start (probably unwisely) at scratch-building a Fokker D-VII using plans by David Johnson which I got from www.rcstore.com. The specs are:
Type: Sport-scale WW I biplane , Wingspan: 43.25 in., Length: 32.5 in, Weight: 55 oz. Wing Area: 519 sq. in, Wing Loading: 15.26 oz/sq. ft
Engine required: .25 2-stroke : Engine used: O.S .25 LA

So far I have been able to successfully decipher the plans and make fairly good progress (for a newbie). However, I am interested in converting this to electric as I am not too keen on the whole gas engine setup and maintenance. Electric is way more easier and cleaner in my opionion.

I have been doing a lot of reading, but need some idea or direction as to what engine/ESC/battery/propeller size setup will work.
I was looking as a AXI 2820/12 or 2826/12 motor w/ PHX 45 Amp controller or a Jeti 40-B PLUS controller (is this OK, too little or overkill)

Any suggestion or recommendations will be deeply appreciated.

In determining the weight (listed in the specs) is this with or without radio/engine/reciever or is it the overall flight weight of the model.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Questions

Your Fokker scale plane should fly great on 75w/lb. At 100w/lb it will have more power than needed.

If we say 55oz is your glow-powered flying weight then it equals 3.4lbs. Take 3.4lbs times 75w and you get 255 watts for your motor power class. This falls within the 2820/10 power range and the 2826/12 would be overkill.

Use a 3-cell Lithium pack that can deliver 30amps or more.

It sounds like you know what your doing so good luck with your electric scale Fokker!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:48 PM
SkullSplitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Questions

Thanks Greg,

Really appreciate your response.

It is really comforting to have the support of this forum and people like yourself to make my transition into this hobby an easy and satisfying one.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.