Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Convert 40 size Sweet Stick to Electric

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Convert 40 size Sweet Stick to Electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:38 AM
rdgosselin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert 40 size Sweet Stick to Electric

I am a fairly experienced builder and gas plane pilot, though due to lack of time have not been doing much for the last 2-3 years. I have been mostly into .40-.60 size gas planes. I would like to be in the .40 size but in electric. I currently have on the shelf a Thunder Tiger "Sweet Stick" that I would like to convert. Can someone help me through the process. I would like to know what motor, battery, etc. I would also like an understanding of the theory behind it. Should I buy one of the motor calc. type programs? Would this help?
I would like the plane to have plenty of get up and go!

Thanks in advance for the help
Russ
Old 08-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Convert 40 size Sweet Stick to Electric

Russ, you should have no problem getting the kind of performance you are looking for in your conversion.

I'm not familiar with the plane you mentioned so I'd need more info to offer specific help.

You would definitely do well to obtain one of the performance predictor (actually "estimator") programs. I prefer e-calc, but others have different opinions.

AS a teaser, if the Sweet Stick is similar to the Ugly Stick then it's comparable to my Model Tech Magic which will do hand launch vertical take offs powered by an Aveox 1010 2Y running on 12 cells through an Inner Demon geearbox.

Here again you will get many opinions about motor/gearbox combinations. Outrunner motors are the in thing right now, but they aren't the only thing. Two sources for reliable information would be Tom Cimato of MaxCim motors (he'll naturally want to sell you one of his very fine motors) or Kurt Massey of New Creations R/C (talk ONLY with Kurt some of his employees think they know more than they do).

And, of course you can never go wrong with one of AstroFlight's excellent products. His new brushless 40 would undoubtedly fly any forty sized and larger plane.

One other bit of advice, we all know the axiom "buy cheap, buy twice" this is doubly true in electric flight.

I'm probably overloading you, but I just thought of another resource you might want to look at: Greg covey's personal web site. He's heavy into wet to e conversions.
Walt