Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Prop shaft adapter ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
mickey-gem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop shaft adapter ???

I am in the middle of converting a Hanger 9 .60 size P-51 Mustang to electric.
I am using an AXI 4130-16. I have run into a problem with the MP jet prop shaft
adapter that I am using, it is not long enough for the aluminum 3 blade 3 1/2 in
Tru Turn spinner and Master Airscrew 16X 8 3 blade prop. Does anybody know
if any manufacturers make a longer prop shaft? I really want to use this prop
because of the looks, and tested power output is 1100 watts with 6s Kokam lipo
packs and 41 amps at full throttle.

Kind Regrads,

Jesse
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Prop shaft adapter ???

Jesse,

You have discovered a true pain in electric conversions that need to use Tru Turn aluminum spinners.

I have solved this issue several times in the past, each having a unique approach. The P-51 type spinner was a real pain in the neck as there are several issues to deal with.

First, you will unlikely ever get the tolerance fit needed to use a P-51 type TruTurn spinner with a prop adapter. You need the threaded drive shaft of a glow engine or the slightest wobble causes great vibration when you throttle up. To achieve a glow engine threaded output shaft, you can either use a geared Hacker C50 Acro motor or use the AXI Radial Mount Set which needs to be customized for the spinner screw tap.

In the past, I have replaced heavy TruTurn spinners with CBA spinners that have an aluminum backplate and lighter plastic spinner. I did this on my Great Planes Lil Toni which uses a P-51 spinner and my big 33% Edge 540. These were great solutions for electric conversions as they came in various colors. To my dismay, Tower Hobbies appears to be discontinuing sales of these CBA spinners.

Another approach, like on my Hangar 9 Corsair conversion, is to use a Higley Safety Hub for warbirds.

Lastly, if you contact Rick at TruTurn, you may be able to send in a Radial Mount Set for a custom fit P-51 spinner. TruTurn is very good at wanting to create new solutions for R/Cers.

Good luck!