Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Ugly Stik Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM
medcinmn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugly Stik Conversion?

New to the forum, been flying for about 10 years and recently discovered electrics. I've got an Ugly Stik w/ a Supertigre and am interested in converting to electric. Don't know anything about it, however. What are my options and what will I need? My radio is a 6 ch Futaba, can I use this same radio? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thx,

Aaron
Old 10-24-2005, 08:39 AM
airflow
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Ugly Stik Conversion?

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
-- Wernher von Braun

You can do a little research, design your conversion, and then ask some detailed questions.
Research by reading about some examples at
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/glow2econ.htm
and http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm

Free Calculator http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp
Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

I just converted my H9 Ultra Stick Lite120 to electric. It weighs about 11lbs. It's fit out like this: APC 16x10 electric prop on an Actro 40-4 brushless outrunner, JETI 77 controller, TANEC 9s2p 4400mah Lipos, Hitec Electron6 rx on a Deans "JetJock" antenna w/4.8v/2300mah NiMh bat. on switch harness, Hitec 645MG servos all around. Other mods include a TT trainer cowl from Stans FiberTech to protect the motor from dust and debris, CF landing gear from GraphTechRC.com, Dave Brown lite 4" wheels. I also opened a hole in the underside of what used to be the fuel tank compartment behind the fire wall. I used a plastic scoop and cut off the spade and glued it under the hole to drive air into the battery compartment. Well, the damn thing is faster than a jet and vertical is unlimited out-of-sight in a high rates, full throw roll. This thing is a fire breathing dragon that will out run ANY stick on glow power thats out there. It actully scares me a little. [sm=stupid.gif]You have to modify your according to weight and other factors. Use this calculator for accuracy: http://www.motocalc.com/index.html [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-25-2005, 11:49 AM
d_wheel

Here's what I have in mine (standard 40 size big stik):

www.megamotorusa.com ACn22/20/2 motor
www.megamotorusa.com LP13010E propeller
www.modelelectronicscorp.com MonsterBox gear box 5:1 gear ratio
www.modelelectronicscorp.com Phoenix 80 speed control
www.modelelectronicscorp.com Clamshell motor mount.
www.espritmodel.com 5s2p Battery Thunderpower 4000 mah battery (made from 1 3s2p and 1 2s2p packs).

Almost unlimited vertical. Was clocked at 96 mph. Get about 10 minutes of sport flying, or 5 minutes of all out high power goofing around.

I had to bend the main gear down, and get a longer nose gear to clear the prop. Still not enough clearance for grass, but is ok for a paved runway.

Later;

D.W.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 PM
fireflynj
My Feedback: (5)

I too have a glow kit plane that I want to convert to electric.
I got a Swizzle Stick 40 which is pretty close to the same as the ugly stick I think

you should be able to use the same radio, reciever & servos
just need to find out what motor, battery and ESC (electric motor controler) to get. (motor calc wizard link above looks interesting)
will need to place the battery pack to get center of gravity right, and if need to correct more you may need to extend the motor mount forward.

I have not built this yet, just info I collected so far. . .
someone verify that I'm on right track?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:44 PM
medcinmn

I found some info from an online hobby source, in their conversion (40 ultra stick is as close as they had) they recommend an AXI 2826/12 w/ a 40 amp Jeti and a 3s2p. Now for a stupid question: Will I need 2 batt packs, one for the motor and a seperate one for the servos?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/g2e-h9ultstick40.htm
Old 12-04-2005, 09:10 PM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

NO, the Jeti 40 amp controller has the BEC built in and will power 3 or 4 servos. However, there are many guys that suggest that you get an UBEC from Hobby Lobby which will run more servos. You will have to wire the UBEC into the power circuit and disable the red wire from the JETI controller. The UBEC plugs into the receiver and provides power.

Good Luck
Al
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 PM
medcinmn

Thx for the responses. In adding the numbers, it looks like this could cost upwards of $350.00 to do the conversion for just the motor, ESC, batts amd charger.