Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Is this even feasable ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Splitpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this even feasable ?

Hi.
I have an old (>10yrs) DC3-Dakota thats currently unserviceable. One motor is seized and the other is umm... not much good.
It's large ... 75" wingspan and weighs around 11 pounds. Would it be even feasable to consider an electric conversion. I've only recently started to get into electrics so don't know much and any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd want to use a 3 blade prop for the 'proper look' , as it's had 2 blades and that always annoyed me.
I'd like to restore it to flying (it's big, getting in the way and annoying as a static model lol) but as electric is my current flavor I really don't want any more IC engines.
Would a conversion be even vaguely possible, or am I just mad and should leave it where it is hanging from the shed roof ?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Is this even feasable ?

SPLITPIN:

A 11 pound twin is very much doooooooooooable. I would suggest using AXI motors as they are high quality, have a good range, and reasonable, plus giving you reliable performance information. The axI 2826 is good for 4.5 to 6.5 pounds, costs $183.oo with controller. The 4120 good for 6.5 pounds. I would choose the 4130 good for 10-12 pounds as one would replace a 40 sized motor for 3D in the future, cost including controller is $299.00 The 4120 ok, best 4130. Ok, we have motors and good controllers equal to the task. Batteries? Suggest going with the new Polley Quest 20C battereys. Amost twice as powerfull and many others out there as bargins that do 10C at best. Even with the 3130, you will end up adding weight forward or moving things to get the correct CG. Have a 4130 in a Banshee, 14 X 4 apc. It just jumps off the ground 1-2 feet and climbs out vertical as long as you want. This plane is about 6# with bat. There are many more systsems out there, some highly advertised. You will see help requests for these combo systems frequently on the electric forum. Hackers are also high quality and when sold with the recommended controller, a outstanding system. Their new pricing make them affordable. Took those Germans a while, but thay finally "got it".

It boils down to a ford-chevy thing, there are others out there that are good systems if you know what you are doing. I dont claim to be a electric expert and therefore go to where the information is easy. (Also Lazy) Have never been dispointed with AXI or Hacker performance, no reality checks. I also patronize people and dealers that are fair and know their stuff, like Chip Hyde, Mike Hill via rcx planes.com. Chip and rcx planes has never given me a bum steer, and even remember you, especially if you are a crazy old man that refuses to be old. Going back to go cart racing with son this month as a example. Airplanes have been my true love since WWII. Woops, startilng to ramble here. Yell if I can help, there are many more knowledgable and helpfull guys here who enjoy helping others.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Splitpin

Thanks for your knoweledgable ramblings rmenke, that was great and just what I wanted to hear

Old 11-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean it up and let it stay clean through electric power!

Is the flying weight 11lbs or is that empty of fuel or even engines?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48310.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	358818  
Old 11-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

My Royal DC3 on two Kyosho endoplasmas geared 4.1/1 running on 12 cells each weighs in at 10 lbs and has plenty of power.
Walt
Old 11-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Greg Covey

Hi Walt,

Can you add some specs on your model like wingspan and all up weight?

The infamous Kyosho Endoplasma motor is no longer available.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:01 AM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Greg:

I'd like to see you make this DC3 on the kitchen table and end up with the kitchen looking clean like in your magazine reviews.

http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0500.html

Al
Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Greg:

Thats a thing of rare beauty. Wish I could do that kind of work, but no interest in scale, but a great appreciation for the workmanship I see. WONDERFUL
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Greg Covey

Al,

LOL!

My friends razz me about seeing various sections of my house in the magazines. It makes for good electric flight promotions.

rmenke,

I'm basically an ARF guy due to limited time and entering the hobby only 6 or 7 years ago. I too have an appreciation for true scale builders.