Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Aeromaster conversion to electric

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Great Planes Super Aeromaster conversion to electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:07 AM
gak2773

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Super Aeromaster conversion to electric

Hi All,

I'm finishing (after 15 years) a Great Planes Super Aeromaster and would like to convert it to electric. Can anyone suggest a motor, ESC and battery setup? I live in the thin air of Colorado, so I'll need some extra power to keep it flying and the wings are in the C & D configuration. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
cabletvguy

Default RE: Great Planes Super Aeromaster conversion to electric

Is it the Giant Aeromaster that you are refering to? To give you some good advice give us some specs on it! I think this plane weights about 18-19lbs. Am I right? Are you wanting 3D performance (unlimited vertical?)

What you really want to do is base what you buy on how many watts per pound that you need. For sport or scale flying I would recommend 75-90 watts per pound. For 3D performance the closer you get to 135-150 watts the better your vertical will be.

If you give me some specs on your model I will give you a hand at some electric specs!
Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 AM
gak2773

Thanks for your reply, cabletvguy. Fortunately, I have the smaller (and hopefully less expensive to electrify) Super Aeromaster and not the Giant. Here are the specs:

Wing Spans: 52" (wing configs C & D)
Wing Area: 910 sq in
Approx Weight: 7.5 lbs (I don't know if this is with or without a gas engine)
Recommended gas engine: 4-stroke .90 to 1.2
Manual: http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals/g...ter-manual.pdf

I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh the plane (without an engine), but I'll get one and post the exact weight this weekend. I'm not looking to do any 3D flying with it, but it should have enough power to fly well up here - I'm thinking 100-110 watts per pound? I'll also try to display some pictures as well.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:54 PM
gak2773

Hi All,

I weighed the plane and it came to 7 pounds. This weight does not include a motor, esc and battery, but it does include the weight of everything else (receiver, servos, gear, covering,...).

So does that mean to use the watts per pound formula I'd use the 7 pounds, or would I need to include the weight of whatever motor and battery i end up buying too?

I also included a picture of the plane. As you can see I've still have a bit more work to do.

Thanks again,
Will
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36109.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	402685  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:28 AM
shv2sail
My Feedback: (42)

The 'watts per pound' formula includes everything that will be airborne in flight (including powerplant). You're going to need a fairly large power system for that bird....just off the top of my head you may want to consider one of the bigger AXI outrunners (4130/16) powered from a 6s lipo battery...or one of the new 'e-flite' 60s....they'll both put out over 1kW of juice 'in', which is probably what you'll end up needing.

Since she's not fully built/covered yet, and chance of parring out some of the heavy wood and lightening up the airframe? Keep in mind that airframe was designed to handle a big ol 1.2 vibrating the heck out of the whole thing, not a smooth-as-silk e-power system.

shv2sail
Old 02-07-2006, 05:47 PM
gak2773

Thanks for the info. I'll try to whittle the plane down a bit and post the new weight. But I think
I know how to decide what motor, esc & batt to get based on everyone's input. I'll try to remember
to post updates of the progress over the next weeks/months. Hopefully some pictures and video,
too!

Thanks again, everyone.
Will
Old 04-25-2006, 08:37 PM
RCMustang

Will,

Any update on the Aeromaster conversion? I just won the same kit at my RC Club raffle.

I think it's an excellent candidate for conversion. At 7 lbs unbuilt, you are looking at 14.4 oz for the AXI, 1 oz or so for the ESC and 20 oz to 28 oz for 6S Lipos. The AXI 4130/16 will do 1250 Watts with a 17x10 prop. The AXI 4130/20 would give you a bit more. I may start building soon since AXIs are on sale.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:45 PM
sid47

Did you complete the Aeromaster Electric build? I am beginning a build on an Aeromaster kit I have had on the shelf for 20 years. How did you extend electric motor mount from the existing firewall. It has to go forward quite a distance to reach the thrust washer location?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Six year bump ! schweet !

heck the price and quality have come so far this should be a (relatively) cheap mod to do now. I hope someone has some good setup info to share on this size plane...