Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Sig Smith Miniplane to electric?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Sig Smith Miniplane to electric?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Abilor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Smith Miniplane to electric?

I need some advice and recommends from folks about possibly constructing and converting the SIG Smith miniplane kit to an electric flyer. My plan, in brief:

Dimensions of model:

Wing Span: 44”
Wing Area: 650 sq in
Length: 40.4”
Weight: 5.25 lbs (84 oz)
Engine recommend: .40 - .45 2-cycle glow

Kit:

SIG: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...rch_02Index_01

Engine: AXI 2826 Outrunner Brushless Direct Drive (ideal for .40-.46 5+ pound models) http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm

Engine Mount: Radial Mount
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless...6.htm#Mounting

TX, RX: I'll probably get a Futaba 6-channel FM with 4 servos, probably the 3004's

Couple of questions:

1.) The AXI 2826 motor seems powerful enough according to their specs, but will I get enough power to do basic aerobatics? I'm not looking to go 3d here, I have other models for that, but tight loops and snap rolls are a must. Opinions? I did use motocalc to check my requirements, but their recommendation of a hacker b50 xl seemed ridiculously overpowered, and while I'm realistic that this project will set me back about $500, I do want to keep it on the cheap.

2.) Direct drive or geared? I *believe* (assume) that the axi outrunner would be a direct drive system for a large prop (12 - 14" or so), but perhaps I am wrong? Is there a batter choice of geared motor in the same price range. Brushless is a must... Other motor recommendations?

3.) IS THIS CONVERSION EVEN POSSIBLE? Or am I proposing insanity?

4.) General opinions on the ease of building this kit? I have not built an RC balsa kit before, BUT I have built numerous "stix'n'spars" models (guillows mostly) as a teen, with the old school tissue and dope. I'm pretty familiar with the process, and I AM looking for a "saga" build that will take 50+ hours to complete. It was also recommended in another forum that SIG and Great Planes plans are best for first RC kit builds since their instructions are best. That said, opinions as to biting off more than I can chew, especially considering the glow to electric conversion? Any advice on conversion while building the kit from the ground up?

5.) Misc. I was also considering the HOB 43" p-51, and converting that; better idea than this?

6.) How can I determine the proper size, speed, and torque servo requirements for the model? For example, would a Hitec 81, or the Futaba 3004 be adequate?

Any answers, advice, and overviews are greatly appreciated as I read, read, read....
Old 03-13-2006, 04:33 PM
phil.hill

Default RE: Sig Smith Miniplane to electric?

I am in the process of doing the same conversion. I have had this kit for at least 8 years and I am not interested in glow fueled power. I have done some investigation and I believe the AXI 4120 would give the best conversion for aerobatics. The 2826 would be sufficient for sport flying. Let me know how you are progressing. I just started building last night and only have the fuse partially built.

Phil
Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

I think your right on the money!!!

AXI 282608 2-3 LiPoly cells. 12x8 to 13x8 props. 1130 RPM/V. Max current: 55A/60 sec., max efficiency current is 25 to 37 amps. Mounting options.

I'd go with the 282608, it has a lot going for it,highest kv and a higher and wider amp range. It would give you a wider range of use, all on a smaller battery pack (3s2p).

Don
Old 04-14-2006, 09:41 AM
phil.hill

I have completed the building process and am in the final sanding phase. I did go with the AXI 2826-10 I will be using a Thunder Power 4 cell 2000mah lipo for power. I also purchased a cell balancer. I am optimistic about the conversion so far. I will be using a 12.5 x 6 prop. I am open to any suggestions about my choices even though I am committed at this point. Or maybe I should be committed.

Phil
Old 11-23-2006, 12:03 PM
DCWFLIES

I am in desperate need of the sig smith miniplane illustrated instruction book and am willing to compensate anyone for the copying, postage and time involved.

Please email me at [email protected] if you are able to help.....

Have the kit complete without the building documentation!!!

HELP!!!