Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

glow to electric power for ME 262

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

glow to electric power for ME 262

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Bob Russell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow to electric power for ME 262

Hi again all.I have a 103 in.wingspan, Me 262 kit,finished weight around 28#. I need info as to where I can purchase the appropriate electric motors and fans. I will need at least 8# to 15# thrust for each nacelle.(2),. Now I did receive some general info from a gentlemen (Goodchild), but that was about 3 weeks ago.I responded to his reply but so far, have not heard anything.Since I am anxious to proceed with the building of the kit,I am in need of where I can obtain the required items.So I welcome all replies,general and specific. Bob [email protected]
Old 04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: glow to electric power for ME 262

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to be fighting an uphill battle here. As far as I know, there is nothing available at the moment (other than experimental) that will work for your plane. BVM jets is working on an EDF (single engine) that may work, but it is still in the testing stages. One of the problems is that the fans for this size plane need to spin at such a high speed that the amp draw of the motor takes a lot, and I mean a LOT of battery to power it. You would certainly have to go with Lithium batteries, and even at that you will be heavy, and of course expect to spend maybe $800+ for the batteries for EACH fan unit. That is, if you can find a suitable fan unit. Right now I don't feel the technology is readily available to us modelers, but it is being worked on hopefully by several companies. As an example, I recently converted an F16 propjet (Cermark) to electric. This is a .90 sized plane that weights 10-11 lbs. I spent a lot of time researching this plane, because I wanted an EDF, and decided in this size range it just isn't practical right now. Well, I've got a prop on the nose, but the performance is spectacular, the sound is unique, and I like it a lot. The power system for this plane, motor, esc, and Lipos, cost about $1000....and I had a real hard time finding the right power system. Most of the large electric systems (1000 watts +) are being produced for large aerobatic planes to swing large (22" for example) props at lower RPM's for thrust. My F-16 needed to spin a 12" prop at high RPM's and it wasn't easy to find the right motor to do it. You want to spin an even smaller "prop" at very high RPM's to put it in perspective. You may want to start looking at NeuMotors for an idea, you'll still need to find a fan, but until a dedicated electric setup is available, you're going to be in for a lot of experimenting, and $$ with the possibility of dissapointing performance and flight times. Maybe someone else will chime in here and tell me I'm wrong......[]
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

See EJF.com he has 120 mm EDF that will produce 12 to 19 lb of thrust on 10 to 12S LiPo. It can be done, there are a number of large EDF flying. All the items are off the shelf type products.
See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484264 for an example.
Bob Ruff
Old 04-28-2006, 12:02 AM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the info about these larger EDF units. Any idea about what size battery (Lipo's-capacity) it will take to run this 120mm fan? I'm thinking weight will be an issue ??
Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
stianb

Hello Bob, I think you might find this one interesting..

http://home.stny.rr.com/mhanger/Me262.html

Its "only" 80" WS and it might not a help for you in your project, but it might give you some motivation

Theres some video also. Very nicelooking model. The cameraholder is only 13yrs so be patient...

Maybe you can contact the builder for help..

Best Wishes
Stian
Old 04-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Bob Russell

Thank you,one and all for the valuable info. It is really great,to have a website like RCU with its information forums etc, I checked out the EDF website and they have the Lechner electric motor( 19# thrust) for about $550.00 ea.Now you still have to buy the bat.packs,charger,esc units and fans.So I am going to have to give serious thought about this coversion from glow to electric. I already have the OS 91 ducted fan engines and pipes.(new in the box),so I might just go with the glow or sell a whole bunch of stuff.I have some experience with small electric and I do like the simplicity of flying electric.So thanks again for the input.Also if anyone else out there would care to share some info,re.glow conversion to electric for my 28# ME 262 ,please do so. Jet Bob