Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED a TF GIANT SCALE P-51 to ELECTRIC?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED a TF GIANT SCALE P-51 to ELECTRIC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED a TF GIANT SCALE P-51 to ELECTRIC?

V6goose,

I would not jump into anything if I were you. Start your electric adventure with something cheap, and I mean cheap.

When you decide to take flying lessons you don't start with complex airplanes, jets, or warbirds, you start with a Cessna 152. Electric is no different, you don't start with expensive Lipos, an expensive charger, an expensive controller, and a complex airplane, you start with simple. Sure, simple may end up in the trash, but, it sure is better than expensive ending up in the trash.

First part of the education is reading and understanding about all the support equipment needed to fly electric.
Next you buy a cheap setup, so you get hands on knowledge.
Next you go back to reading and asking questions in the area that you first started. You don't graduate until you pass the beginner tests.
Then you try a more expensive setup and use your experience and knowledge to buy the support equipment that you can grow with.

Bottom line, no two planes are exactly alike, and you will be joining the interenational research and development department when you commit to going electric.....it's not cheap, it's quiet, it's clean, but, it's not cheap. Some people say that after getting a substantial education in electric that for larger planes, gas is still the way to go. Not me saying that, but others have said that.

Al
Old 09-07-2007, 07:23 AM
v6goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED a TF GIANT SCALE P-51 to ELECTRIC?

Hey Al...

Wise words and advice from someone who obviously has been down this road... thank you.

I substituted my gas for electric in my build spreadsheet and the cost delta is significant.

I have decided to continue with this build as gas and venture into electic in the form of a warbird arf on the side.

By the time i finish this one, electrics will be better, cheaper and as you suggested I will have some experience.

Cheers and good luck.

Goose