Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Panther combat to electric

Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 AM
stdun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther combat to electric

New here, please help. Switching over to electric on my Tufflight Panther, 5' flying wing, about 3 lbs. with a .25 size glow engine. What size and type of brushless would give it good power ? Also, which battery / esc / prop would be correct. I'm teaching my son to fly, he's coming along nicely. The Panther is all EPP and can take the learning curve well. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 AM
stdun

Default RE: Panther combat to electric

How about starting with a Power 25 brushless from E-flite, a 40 amp ESC, also E-flite, a Thunder Power 4200mah, 11.1 volt li-po and a 11 x 7 prop ? Turns out you can get a wide range of motors that compare to glow engine sizes but the batteries are expensive when you get larger motors. I would start with this combo and see how it works before buying more batteries etc.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 AM
stdun

Great idea, turns my local hobby shop has those in stock. I will give it a try and report back on the results. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
stdun

Set up as described above. IT FLIES GREAT ! As fast as the os25fx glow that it used to have.

Next issue though is that it needs a prop saver since it is a combat plane without landing gear, breaks the prop on landings. Does anyone know of a prop saver for an E-Flite Power 25 ?

Feel free to email me for more info.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:18 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think there is any prop saver that would be strong enough for that size....

just hard mount it.... and turn off the brake on the ESC
Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 AM
stdun

Unless the prop happens to be lined up with the wing it will break since the plane belly lands. I thought about trying a flared landing to avoid breakage but that would only work if done perfectly. I don't know if they make folding props from 11'' to 14'' , that might work.