Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Sopwith Camel electric conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Sopwith Camel electric conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:50 PM
jackhy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sopwith Camel electric conversion

I obtained a completed Sopwith Camel WWI fighter bi-plane with a 48" wingspan and length of 32" (less rudder). It appears to have been designed for a 40 size gas engine, but never fitted as such and I would like to put in an outrunner motor, etc. How do I configure it? I'm still in the early stages of electric planes and believe LiPo and brushless is the way to go for this pristine model. Suggestions are welcomed before I screw up!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:45 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sopwith Camel electric conversion

I bought one of the new Hangar 9 Camel ARF's...
It's a "60 size" (2 stroke/.91 4 stroke )...and it recommends the E-Flite "Power 46" outrunner.
I have one of those, and it will pull a 6 lb. plane vertically on 4 cells and a 13 X 8E...

If you're looking for more "scale like" power, I would think something like the E-Flite "Power 32" would fly it well, depending on the weight of the airframe of course.

How much does the bare airframe weigh? Then figure in the wt. of the radio...then we can get a better idea of power requirements.