Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

I need your help with a conversion

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

I need your help with a conversion

Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
mschneider2005
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your help with a conversion

Hello Everyone,

I need some help setting up a nitro to electric conversion. I have been building and flying R/C since 1980, but this is my first attempt with electric. The plane I want to convert is:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/newcmpla3650.html

It has a 59" WS
and weighs about 5.5 to 6 lbs.

What I need help with is everything regarding the power plant:

Motor type / size that is comparable to a .46 2-stroke (can dia, length, RPM/v input)
Prop adapter
Motor mount
Batteries Type/size/rating/chemical compound (multi-pack setup?)
Charger type
ESC type and size
Anything else I'll need to complete the conversion that I can't think of.

Brand names and specifics are very helpful. I do most shoping on Tower, so if they carry the parts, even better.

Thank you for your time!

Mike

Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I need your help with a conversion

i think a 4 cell lipo with a 60 amp esc would do just fine look for a 800 or so kv motor. on the 4 cell lipo i would use two 4 cells in parallel.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:12 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

I have this plane in the stars and strips paint scheme. I set it up with an OS .46SF glow engine. I think it would be a good electric conversion project - lots of room in the cowl for a motor and lots of room in the fuse for batteries and ESC.

I would recommend a strong electric motor with equivalent .46 power. This is a fast airplane and you don't want a DOG on your hands. I am using a HXT 50-52B from Hextronics on another 46 size plane. This is a motor made in China and has great reports. Hextronics also makes an ESC that works with this motor (S60 ESC). The good news is you can get the motor for about $50 and the ESC for about $30. That's right - about $80 for the pair ! If the conversion does not work for you, then you have not spent your life savings. You can get these from United Hobbies (check the Internet).

The bad news is that you are going to find it somewhat expensive to purchase batteries for a power system that will give you the required Watts and 6-10 minutes flying time. A thumb rule for sports flying is about 150-200 Watts per pound. That equates to about 900 watts for this plane. To get that kind of power and 6-10 minutes of flying time, you need 15C-20C Lipo batteries with a total of 4000-5000 mah capacity. The HXT motor likes a higher voltage (4S-14volts or 6S-21volts). Batteries will cost you from $150 to $300 depending on what and where you buy.

This is a mouthful. Hope it helps.

More info on Electric Power Systems on my web site forum.
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net
Old 12-14-2006, 12:27 PM
carlosponti

united hobbies sells a 2200 mah 4 cell lipo for 40 bucks you can buy two and use them in a parallel condition. which would give you 4400 mah on a 4s2p cell with 14.8 volts delivery.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One trick to remember when doing an electric conversion is to make a long battery compartment over the balance point. This way you can shift the battery pack fore or aft to balance the plane without adding any ballast.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:35 PM
algutkin

Mike,

Your questions are good, however, the responses could take quite a bit of space and time as opinions are plentyfull. Welcome to the world of research and development.

Norm Goyer will probably give you the best and quickest response, however, not much can be bought at Tower Hobbies. Hobby Lobby is the reliable place to go for electric. You could log in there and scroll down the Axi Motor line and you will come to the 2826, or 4120. Read a little about what and how many lipos will drive those motors. Perhaps give them a call for advice, it will cost more for the parts, but, your appear to be new to the conversion process, so, it wouldn't be wise for anyone to steer you toward China direct until your learn more. Stuff is much cheaper buying direct from China, but, you have to know what you are doing, some stuff is junk.

Good Luck
Al G.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:11 AM
East RC

AXi 2826/12 Motor
Jeti Advance Plus 30 ESC
13 x 8 APC thin electric prop
AXi 282602 Radial mount with prop adapter
PolyQuest 5000mah 5 cell LiPo
A few odds and ends connectors
Good charger and a balancer

Your in business!

Your first leap into electric is going to a bit costly if you go ahead and invest in a good charger and a good balancer.

You can proably do this setup for about 350-400 bucks. You could do the same setup on 4s and save a few bucks. That particular motor is rated for 37 amps at 60 seconds and the setup I mentioned above will draw around 28-30 at full throttle and fully charged and will provide around 9 pounds of thrust.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:36 PM
mschneider2005
My Feedback: (34)

Thank you guys for all your help.

I'll take the next step in R&D after the new year. You all have been a great help and I look forward to any more input you have to offer.

Thanks again,

Mike