Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

ESC power and receiver lead extensions - Opinions wanted!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

ESC power and receiver lead extensions - Opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:58 PM
wollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC power and receiver lead extensions - Opinions wanted!

Guys,

Need your opinions.

Since I'm getting more and more into bigger conversions (above 60 size) I've come across a situation which appears to be common because of the bigger sizes of these planes.

ESC battery leads and ESC receiver leads don't reach back far enough. As we all know the preferred method of ESC placement is typically as far forward as possible to take advantage of the cooling of cowl vents etc.

The problem is since most of the ESCs have relatively short battery leads (Jeti's especially) and receiver leads, in most of my conversions now, I am barely able to get the ESC's power/battery leads to reach the battery since I tend to need my batteries fairly far back to balance. I also have a hard time getting the ESC's receiver/throttle lead to reach my receiver as well!

So to solve this problem I have been extending the Esc's power/battery leads by soldering on heavy gauge wire "extensions".

As for the ESC's receiver lead ... since the receiver is typically beyond the reach of the ESC's receiver/throttle lead, I typically end up using a heavy duty servo extension to solve that problem.

1. Is anyone else coming across this situation and if so ... are you using that same "fix" or is there some other method that I should know about?

2. Is anyone solving this by extending the Esc's power leads on the MOTOR side as opposed to the Esc's leads on the BATTERY side? (as I do) If so, is that better? Why?

Thanks!