Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 F22 Raptor PTS Gas to Electric

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Hangar 9 F22 Raptor PTS Gas to Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 PM
bsipro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 F22 Raptor PTS Gas to Electric

Hello all,
I have a new project im starting.
I just picked up a Hangar 9 F22 Raptor PTS.
this ia a real good looking plane and is built real well " Thanks Hanger 9"

Here is the spec. on the stock Plane:

F-22 Raptor PTS

Wing Span: 52 in (1321mm) (with droops and tip extensions), 47.9 in (1217mm) (w/o droops and tip extensions)
Overall Length: 50.3 in (1278mm)
Wing Area: 731 sq in (47.2 sq dm) (with droops and tip extensions), 675 sq in (43.6 sq dm) (w/o droops and tip extensions)
Flying Weight: 7.0–7.5 lb (3.18–3.40 kg)
Engine Size: Evolution Trainer Power System (EVOE100 (installed))
Servos: 5 servos (7 servos needed for optional flaps)

I will be removing the .46 Glow engine and replacing it with a E-flite Power 60BL motor
the setup will consist of:
Motor: E-Flite Power 60BL
ESC: Castle Creations 80amp
Servos: JR ST47
TX /RX Spektrum DX67
Prop: APC 14x8E
Batterys: 4 THP21003SPL (wired in series / perallel) 4200 mha 22volts

I will be starting the project this week end I will be posting pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13639.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	626945  
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Hanger 9 F22 Raptor PTS Gas to Electric

Is there really enough ground clearance for a 16" prop ?? Another, lighter option would be the power 46 with a 4S 6000 Lipo, spinning a 13x10 APC pattern prop, at 900 watts (had this setup in a .40 zero) would be a nice flyer
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
normgoyer

State of the art stealth fighters with props on the nose don't really look too authentic. Anyway of putting an electric ducted fan for power? Norm
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 PM
bsipro

Hey all,

the prop size im going to try 14/8 APC I will see what the output is going to be. I went with the power 60, the extra power is worth the few more $$.
I have had real good luck with my Showtime 50 and my Hanger 9 P51 PTS. with this setup

this plane is a go have fun plane. it looks good (not scale) and should fly nice. I have a lot of fun with my P51 PTS and everyone ask why I didnt get the H9 60size P51. until they see how well it flys and if it comes in hard it im not spending the next 3 nights fixing it. and it was only $119.00 for the airframe (nice)
also the F22 Raptor PTS is a good value. I will have around $600.00 in to it. I have already sold the engine and radio. and that $$ help with the motor and ESC.

I look at the ducted fan power option to much $$$$$$ I want to keep the cost down

It is all about having fun and not worring about a high dollar 200mph gas turbine jet that I cant fly anywere were I live.

Thanks for the Input
Old 02-23-2007, 10:52 PM
bsipro

Hey All
I mounted the motor today (this is a fast conversion) I will post pictures later.
I checked the offset it is down and to the left ? this dose not seem right. the mounting is 1-1/4 nylon spacers off the firewall I need to check with Hanger 9 to see if this is right.
the plane is almost ready to go.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
mediq

Sounds like a fun project please keep us posted..
Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM
bsipro

well all
I have the motor mounted, all of the electronics in place (- the Specktrum rx on backorder)
the motor mounted up easy using 1 1/4 nylon spacers 2" 10-32 hex bolts.
the top screws lined up with the E-flite X mount I had remove the two lower T-nuts and places the bolts threw the firewall (see pictures)
also I disided to use 2 4200mha 11.1v battierys ( they fit nicely in the nose of the fus.)
I also relocated the flight battery from the tailsection to the center the plane.
the flight weight 6.1 lb
total watts output 680

prop APC 13x8 2 blade
I would like to see what a 13x8 3 blade would do.
I just have to wait for some good weather to test her out.[img][/img]

Name:	Jh15209.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	631178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20765.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	631179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80703.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	631180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77314.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	631181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55327.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	631182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86447.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	631183  
Old 02-27-2007, 08:33 PM
bsipro

Also
Im working on venting the Fus.
it will be inlet at the cowl and exit in the rear of the Fus. I have to see what will flow the best . I will post some pictures when im finished.
I sent a message to hanger 9 about the motor thrust angle to see if it is right. usally hanger 9 builds the thrust angle in to the Fus. firewall
I will post the info
Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
normgoyer

Hangar 9, A hangEr is what is in your closet, a hangar is where you store airplanes. an easy way to remember Airplane hangAr. Norm
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Hey guy, I have a nexstar and alot of other parkzones planes like the stryker and typhoon. I was wondering if I get this plane, will it be easy to fly? And also do you think I have to fix the C of G for this plane at all, becasue some planes come set with the C of G already? Im just so concerned, It looks so nice! I just want to take this bad boy in the air and do some fun fly bys.

Thanks A Bunch!

-Adisn
Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
bsipro

Hey Adisn
I have not flown the Raptor yet !! but it should fly nice. it is much bigger than the styker. I had to move the RX batt. to get the CG right. you should always check your CG on your planes if they are new or if you do any mods.
thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
bsipro

Default RE: Hangar 9 F22 Raptor PTS Gas to Electric

Hay all
here is some updates,
I have been waiting for the upstate NY weather to get better. and it is, I have been working on the CG and I had to make some changes. I moved the RX Batt. up front were the fuel tank was, and I placed the 2 lipos in the center of the fus. I will post some pictures my Local HS is going to be getting the Spektrum RX in this week so if the weather holds I get the F-22 in the air this week end.

Name:	Ge95388.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	642282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95336.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	642283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42575.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	642284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77654.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	642285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30561.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	642286  
Old 03-17-2007, 04:06 AM
wildswan

Has this baby flown yet?

I've got a grey one on order, ARTF.

Thinking of putting a 4130 in it, powers my Hangar 9 Spitfire fine. Running on 22v (2x3s 4100mah).

Jason
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 PM
bsipro

Hey guys
I got the F-22 in the air today.
she is under powerd and the prop has a clearance problem on grass
take off was full power
in the air it flys nice (under powerded though)
It was a short flite about 4min
it did not need much trimming.
landing was a little hot (it has been a long winter)
Im thinking that a power 46 (as sugested in a earlier post) it will give me more power with a smaller prop like a 12x8
im going to give it a try this week end.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
bsipro

Hey all,
I put the E-Flite power 46 bl in the f-22 and a 12x6e APC prop. I got 790watt / 50amps / 18volts @ 3/4 throttle Im am using 2 11.1v 2150mha lipo's
the motor voltage range is 14 -18v. Im am using the throttle trim on the TX to control full output not to go above 18volts. Im going to fly the f-22 tomarro I will post the outcome
Old 03-29-2007, 08:26 AM
algutkin

Everyone keeps talking about watts, ya know, get so many watts per pound and the planes will fly great. I wish there was a way to erase this idea as it was developed by electronic engineers that could be missing something.

The idea is to emulate nitro performance, we are doing conversions, not modifications of already existing electric airplanes. These planes were designed to have small props and high RPMs, thus the whole wattage thing is out the window. When you consider a motor for a plane that has limited ground clearance, you work backward.

1. Determine the ground clearance.
2. What props will fit without trimming the grass or breaking on landing?
3. What motor will produce the most RPM for that prop. KV?
4. What is the max voltage capacity that the motor can take? (with small .46 equiv. motors, you would like 9,000 RPM)
5. Do you have a charger with enough capacity? Chances are you will need a 5S or 6S config for a .46 size plane, that weights 6 lbs., remember it's all about KV.
6. If you solve all of the above, you can stick on the watt meter and the tach, and you will find that the readings will fall within the expected results. The plane will fly great, and the ESC will stay cool.
7. For hot rod performance, up the voltage, but, don't burn out the motor.

In my opinion, the thing to remember is that target watts is only good if the prop size is not limited. When there is no limitation, a larger motor with less KV will work, because you can swing a larger prop. If there is a prop. size limitation, then watts are out and RPM is in.

Just a thought, it seems to work for me on those large twins, converted to electric.

Hey Norm, I'll bet you can find all kinds of spelling and grammar errors in my posts. I was born in the US of A, but, I used English class as a study period and it's paying be back now in a negative way. Oh, and I know I could use a spell checker, but, for non business writings, I'm too impatient and lazy. Please forgive me. I'm not to old to learn new tricks.

I put my clothes on a hanger and my wife made me sleep in the hangar. How's that for learning?

Al

Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 AM
normgoyer

Hi Guys and especially Al, You nailed it. there is too much of a trend towards techno BS in the electric segment of our hobby. I have been flying large, up to 1/4 scale electrics down to 36 in electric toys, and not once have I ever used a watt meter, amp meter, tachometer or whatever. I go by the specs of the motor I buy and put as big a prop on it as possible and use the max number of volts and go fly. Every airplane so far has taken off and flown perfectly. I have seen guys at the field spend hours with their techno gadgets screwing around and never once did get into the air while I take my Cub out of my Vanagon in one piece, walk out to the flightline, throw two switches and go fly, total elapsed time maybe 30 seconds if there is no one on my frequency. When first checking out airplane after the flight I place my fingers on the ESC, never use a BEC on larger aircraft, and the battery packs. If a little hot, I drop down a size of prop, if too cool I add a size, not rocket science just commong sense.

I believe in communication, if the message is understandable then that person has communicated, if too jumbled a structure wise to make sense then communication has failed. minor spelling and grammar errors mean nothing. Persons who are not employed in any capacity as a writer or educator should be able to spell but the average wage earner, communication is the key. Norm

still earning a living as a writer at almost 81
Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Norm, I would normally agree with you about the tech-no Babel. However, powered flight, is by definition, technical. Add to that the ESC, BEC, KV, Volts, Watts, etc, and you have Tecno Babel. I have been flying RC planes for over 20 years and have seen many people throw sh*t together, enjoy 15 seconds of flight, carefully place the remains in a garbage bag and shamefully go home. Please don't suggest that our RC community is not smart enough to figure out this electric stuff that is, most of the time, important and required knowledge for reliable safe flight of electric powered models.

I am not an electronic wizard myself, but I have taken the time to "understand" the theory of the electric power packages used in our modern day RC planes.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
normgoyer

Hi, you're right, I do understand and I guess that I seem to subdue my knowledge and just go fly but in reality I do my homework and I do know the facts regarding the power of electric flight. I flew my first electric RC model over 20 years ago. And I do ask a lot of questions of the folks that I purchase equipment from and very often go with their suggested set up. I have assumed that they have done all the testing and in essence save me the trouble. Even though I don't check each model I have all the goodies and know how to use them, I just don't unless something unusual comes up. I also tend to use the same brand of equipment which saves a lot of start up searching for answers. It is a great hobby and in my opinion has been made even better with eletric power. Norm
Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Hey Norm, what do you think of this prop jet (SU-27 Flanker kit)? It was my pride and joy until I had a flame out and did not make it back to the runway.

Since that incident, I have also been eyeballing the Hangar 9 raptor. Curious about how it will convert to electric.....

ORIGINAL: normgoyer

State of the art stealth fighters with props on the nose don't really look too authentic. Anyway of putting an electric ducted fan for power? Norm

Name:	Fd91123.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	652501  
Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM
bsipro

Hey Guys,

Just to let everyone know that I welcome all advise and comments
that is what these forums are for and if anyone would like to proof read all of my post and do corections Just let me know (ha!)
normgyer & algutkin
yes If I did my home work in advance and my local HS had a clue about electric conversions it would of saved me some time and money.
when you guys got started in the hobby it was trial and error! that is how we progess in the hobby
also I did not know that these forums are spelling and grammer test. I post my conversions for information for people to used as a building block for there own projects.
If you look at the spec.sheet for the E-flite power motors almost everything is in watts. and E-flite uses Watts to determine a Model's power requirements.

just to let everyone know:

The E-flite power 60 is a 400 Kv motor (8800rpm @22.2v) /1200 watts /60amps burst / recommended props :14x8 - 16x10

The E-flite power46 ia a 670 Kv motor (12,300rpm @ 18.5v) /670 watts /40amp burst / recommended props :12x8 -14x10

I have been flying RC for 3 yrs and have done 3 conversions I'm still on the learning curve.

Im heading out to test the new motor and will post the results tonight.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:52 PM
normgoyer

There are some aircraft, models, that fly on the engine rather than the wing. Most modern jet fighters are of this category. I cannot see where any model that will fly with a glow or gas engine will not fly with the proper electric motor, prop rpm are prop rpm no matter what the motivating force is. You do have to factor in the weight, usually it is a bit more but not that much. Then when you apply the superb reliabiity and clean running and lack of heavy vibration the electrics win it hands down. It is always hard to change habits. I can still remember the first aircraft I flew that had a nose wheel in front and a round wheel in the cockpit, I hated it. I can also remember the first time I flew a glass cockpit aircraft, again I hated it.....but this is where aviation is going and you might as well hop on early. Electrics are the wave of the future, bite the bullet and get involved, you will never be sorry. I prefer models that are large, represent a full size aircraft that I have either owned or flown and one that flies like a real airplane. Hopefull this is the way our hobby is heading, I am sure that the foamies with their yo-yo flying characteristics will find their place but scale will continue to grow. As I said in a previous post, communication is where it is at, period. Norm
Old 03-30-2007, 08:13 PM
bsipro

Hey All
I got the F-22 in the air today. all of the changes with motor and prop worked. the plane has a lot of power and is fast @3/4 throttle.
On take off on grass the nose wants to bounce so you have to watch the plane.
in the air it flys good.( I only did patterns) it did not need much triming. it is a little tail heavy event though the CG is on.
it is a nice plane looks good in the air.
Landing is real smooth
I added some 1/2 holes in the cowl for more air flow
thanks for all the insight on this conversion.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

Well, here comes some of that Techno Babel. The ESC regulates the amount of time the battery power is applied to the motor based on throttle position. The full battery voltage is always applied.

For explanation, here is a example:
Let's say you have a 22 volt battery pack. At low throttle you would apply 22 volts for 1 second out of every 5 seconds. At half throttle you would apply 22 volts for 3 seconds out of every 5 seconds. At full throttle, you would apply 22 volts for 5 seconds out of every 5 seconds (full voltage all the time). The ESC controls the voltage applied to the motor in little burst. Short burst - low speed. Long burst - fast speed. This is how the ESC controls the speed of the motor.

So, bsipro, in limiting the throttle position on the transmitter, you ARE NOT limiting the voltage being applied to the motor, just the amount of time it is applied and therefore limiting the Amps drawn by the motor.

You got a reading of 18 volts from your 22 volt battery pack because the voltage drops as power is drawn from the batteries. The voltage will initially drop down to some level (lets say 18v from a 22v pack) and then slowly drop as you use power (Amps). Near the end of its useful power range, the voltage will abruptly drop.

Having said all that techno stuff, if the motor is rated for a maximum voltage of 18 volts, you "run the risk" of damaging the motor if you run it with higher voltage. However, if you keep the amps down by limiting the throttle, you "might" prevent damage. However, you said you are drawing 790 Watts / 50 amps from a motor rated for 690 Watts and 40 amps. You do the math and determine if you want to continue running that motor so hard. PLEASE check the motor temperature on you next flight.

Sorry for the techno junk but the Devil made me do it. Hope this helps!!

ORIGINAL: bsipro

Hey all,
I put the E-Flite power 46 bl in the f-22 and a 12x6e APC prop. I got 790watt / 50amps / 18volts @ 3/4 throttle Im am using 2 11.1v 2150mha lipo's
the motor voltage range is 14 -18v. Im am using the throttle trim on the TX to control full output not to go above 18volts. Im going to fly the f-22 tomarro I will post the outcome
Old 03-31-2007, 09:17 AM
normgoyer

Hi guys, Whatever happened to when the motor slows down land the airplane. Works every time and it is very obvious when you are loosing power, simply throttle back enter the pattern and land. Besides a good deadstick will improve your flying ability. Norm

of course I don't chance it and use a separate battery for recviever and serovs so I will always have power when the motor battery is low

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.