Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Extra230

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need?

Hi all,

I have a 1/8 scale scratch built Douglas A-26 Invader (106" span). It's currently powered by two OS 140 RX, and dry weight is about 30 pounds. The 140's are strong, light weight, high torque engines, and as such give the airplane ample power, allmost more than I need. I do, however, have problems with with overheating and exhaust systems. These engines are designed for tuned pipes and installations with good cooling, and are not well suited for an installation with mufflers inside a cowling. (and, of course, it would be nice to get rid of the mess.....)

Do any of you with the right experience have a recommended electric setup for this airplane? As I said, it's slightly overpowered with the 140's, but also keep in mind that the A-26 is a high performance airplane with performance in line with the best fighters of it's time.

Good advice would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Thore Thoresen
Oslo, Norway
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42012.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	679487  
Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Technito20

Default RE: What do I need?

Going electric on a 30 pound plane in my opinion is ridiculously exspensive and totally not worth it. But if money isn't an issue, then here's the setup I'd recommend to convert this to electric. You'll need almost double of everything as well. Also I picked out the bare minimum you'll need. I still don't think I want to add up the total

http://hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi4130.htm <-- Axi 4130 Brushless outrunners (As well as the motor mount at bottom of that page)

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetiblue.htm <-- Jeti Advance PLUS 90 Amp Opto

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/flightpower.htm <--- "EVO 20" 5 Cell 18.5V 3300 mAh LiPoly

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chargers_lipoly.htm <-- Astro Flight 109 Lithium Charger
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Extra230

Thanks, Technito

I'm not really scared, even if I add it all up ! ;-) Those 140's will find a new home, and cost allmost as much as the electric motors and batteries. It even seems to me that 5330's with 90 amp controllers would be the way to go. What do you think would be sensible batteries for such an installation? (pardon my amateurish questions, it's just that all this is new to me...) I imagine using fairly recuced power ecxept for take-off and would aim at around 10 minute flights.

- Thore
Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 AM
jooNorway

I agree with Technito20, this will be an expensive project. Especially if you purcase all the gadgets in Norway

Starting with your weight, 30 Pound empty with IC-engines equals to appr 15 kilo when modified for electrics. Since this is a high performance plane you would need a setup delivering appr. 4000 Watt.

Two brushless motors able to deliver 2000 Watt each might be AXI 4130/20 as already mentioned. Those are able to do the job when you choose the right propellers and battery. And might be the lightest setup... I love the Actro motors. Actro 45-3 would be top of the clas, but they cost nearly twice as much.

Battery for 10 minutes of flight: 10S Lipo? Since the total amperes could exceed 100A you need a 10000mAh battery. My rule of thumbs is 10C load to get proper flight-time. But 10S7000 might be enough if you are easy on the throttle...

Maybe your model would be flown at Notodden this fall???
Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevertheless its a fun project, only issue is batteries. I purchased motors and ESC from DualSky and they are CHEAP. They have big motors that will turn 20" props and from the factory its like only USD70 each, HV ESC of 90A is about USD100 only. Batteries are another issue, has to be branded of course and that is the hurdle. Worse on twins.

Its a scale plane, maybe the 5320 will work but I would not wanna go near the 4130 for that plane.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
badloser

hi thore
I suggest to go to www.xushobby.com and check the new and hot stuff that they have I saw a couple of motors at very good price, also right down the phone number and give them a call ask for Jun and ask him for battery options cause they don’t have all the batteries on the site. I got from him a 5s 4000 mAh electric power battery under 160 dollars and the brushless motor they have to fly planes up to 20 pounds are under 150 dollars I have tried out the tower pro motors on my models and they are grate..

mauricio