Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Top Flite DC3 Conversion To Electric

Hi all

I am half way through a Conversion / Build of a Top Flite DC3 and am at the point where some decisions need to be made and would like a bit of help.

Firstly, I am an ok'ish builder and not always the best at building very light. I have seen a few conversions and people have spoken about managing to lower the weight to 8lbs, I expect mine to be 8.5-9.5 lbs without batteries. I have built a hatch at the very front of the plane so far and also a battery tray but need to make a lid for this so will need to start finding my batteries fairly soon.

Power sources. Although I am not building to a budget, I do not want to spend a real fortune of my electric gear but don't mind spending a couple of extra pounds/dollars for better quality.
    The plane is listed by Top Flite as being capable of flying on 2 x .25 engines with 2 x .40 being very over powered. I have my eyes on a pair 500W 919Kv outrunner, 60amp opto esc and a pair of 4s1p 4000Mah ish batteries. I also want to fly on approximately 10x6 three bladed props.

The motors I am looking at are as below links

[link]http://www.b*********.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=87[/link]

and the esc's are

[link]http://www.b*********.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=379[/link]

Really looking for views opinions on this and what might be better or worse than above if the above would work. also, how do you work out the expected flight times?

Covering..........gosh darn it, it has to be covered and I hate it. Always used iron on covering and sometimes brown paper and pva (too heavy in this case) As there is a lot of plastic on this model then I think Iron on will be out but not sure what is really really really (you get the picture) easy to apply.

Finally, thrust angles, the kit specifies a real lot (8 degrees down and 4 degrees right for one side), I think much has been added to help with engine outages which shouldn't be the case for me so anyone done this before and if so what did you use / recommend.

Thanks in advance all if you can help

Nick
    Sometimes I choose to land Vertically!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite DC3 Conversion To Electric

glass and paint. go with e flite power 60s and a 7s 5000mah pack. the hatch could be the cockpit top. you could conceal this well as the dc-3 had a panel line right aft of the windscreen. Also hacker geared motors would be lighter but 400 a piece. get ecalc from hobby lobby and you can play at this and get a prediction before you fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a friend who is very interested in this conversion. Couple of questions. Are you suggesting running both motors off of one pack? Or would you have a pack for each motor?

So: Two E-Flite Power 60 Motors
    Two 80 amp ESC's
    One 7 cell 5000ish Lipo pack

That sound about right? Thanks for the help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those e-flite 60's seem over kill for a plane designed to fly on two .25 glow 2 cycle engines. Since this a scale airplane it should be flown in a scale like manner and overpowering will add weight and cost that is not needed in this plane. A better choice would be the Power 32 or even the AXI 2826/12 or 10 or any others with similar Kv and watt output.
    I have the same kit in my stash and will be powering it with a pair of Scorpion motors, most likely the 3026/12's on 4 cells each. Full throttle power should be right around 100/lb which will fly it in a scale manner. A plus is it only need 40~45 amp ESC's will be another cost savings.

Cooper998
    BalsaUSA Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nik ... I think that motor is nice, the KV is low and you can make it look scale on the prop selection. I would go with the same motor of about 1,100 KV. With the Power 60 your DC3 will be something like a Space Shuttle ... hahahaahahaa
    Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice ...
    Revver Brotherhood No. 232

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback