Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

World Model Super Sport 40

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default World Model Super Sport 40

I just wanted a simple 40 sized plane for everyday flying soI decided to go with the SS40 as its something that I really enjoyed when I was flying glow.

Set up

Motor: DualSky XM 4620-5 680 KV
ESC: DualSky XC 6018 BA
Batt: Flight Power EVO20 5S1P 4,900 mAh
Prop: APC 12x10E & APC 12x6E
Servos: HS81 ele/rud mounted at the back, 3001 for aileron, GWS Mini MG for steering

Build

This plane's quality is really 'bad', its not as good as it used to be. It must be said that WM's quality control for this plane really sucks. The wing halves do not join properly. There was a gap at the top of the wing at the root rib, I had to fill that up with 90 min epoxy and it took a lot of epoxy to do the job.

There was not much modification for this plane, its pretty straight forward to convert to EP.

Push rods for the elevator and rudder have a lot of binding, too much in fact. So what I did was to install the servos at the tail, its so much smoother now.

A hatch was cut in front of the canopy for battery access. The ESC is placed in the tank area and the battery is also mounted here, about half in the compartment and the other half behind. Battery access for my big packs were easy.

I removed the cup shaped fibreglass recess for the UC, this allows for more air flow. Unfortunately, with my big pack air flow is restricted. The FP EVO20 5S1P 4,900 packs are almost as large as the tank supplied.

I think I will use Flight Power's EVO25 3S1P 3,700 for this plane. It will help with the CG and allows for more air flow.

Motor

I decided to try the DualSky motor as it was a 680 KV motor and would be most suitable for a 5S set up. I have to say that their motors are cheap and they run well.

I fabricated a radial mount for this plane, I discovered that the original mounting screws on the plane are the same as the outer holes on an AXI 41XX series. So the radial mount I made had it's outer holes like AXI 41XX and it's inner holes that of the DualSky motor.

ESC

I first tested the ESC at home and everything worked well. When I got her ot the flying field it would not arm. Later I realise that it would not work with a 4.8V battery but will with a 6V battery. Then I saw the small prints on the ESC ... its got a built in switching UBEC ... 5.5V @ 3A! It always pays to read the manual.

Performance

Power: 1,000+W
Amp draw: 50+A
Tach: APC 12x10 @ 9,750 RPM and APC 12x6 @ 10,500 RPM
Motor temp: circa 60*C
ESC temp: circa 75*C max (its lacking ventilation)
Flight duration: 12 mins easy flying, 10 mins mixed flying and 7 mins hard flying
Top speed: about 65-70 mph max

Flight report

I got in like 10 flights on the SS40 ... The plane is still nose heavy because I am running on the big batt packs. Power wise, its got more than your average 46 2C motor. This plane is able to give very good up lines. Verticals are almost unlimited.

Acceleration is so much better than a 46 2C for sure. Punch the throttle and you will see the plane jump forward. I love coming in low then pull a nice big loop. I got to tweak the plane a bit more as I need more down thrust on this baby. Overall I will say she is just right. Perfect for everyday flying.

The APC 12x10E is much better than the APC 12x6E. The 12x6E gives good performance but the speed is much lesser and acceleration is slower. I think the best would be an APC 12x8E as the 12x10 prop is giving a pitch speed of just over 90 mph and this plane is only good for like 70 mph.

Hence, a 12x8 would be a better match for this plane, the pitch speed would be better matched for the plane and it will lower my amp draw, keeping things cooler and extending flight times.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27551.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	783192  
Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: World Model Super Sport 40

I had a .56 4-stroke on mine and loved it while I had one. Good all around model for sure.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 AM
tIANci

Mine could hold its own, today, against a Sonic 500 with an MVVS Quickie 40 engine.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
vicman

It should have, you spent twice as much on the powerplant!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 AM
tIANci

Vic - not really ... hehehhee ... motor and esc was purchased direct from the manufacturer so its pretty cheap. As for the battery pack, yeah it costs a lot but it came from my MidWest CAP 232 80" conversion project, that baby runs on 10S so I bought 2 5S packs for her. I guess in this manner I do not think the battery should count as 'cost'. Hahahaha ...
Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 AM
vicman

I'm going to talk a friend into donating a turbine so I can play for free too.

I still agree the plane is a good one. I will also quietly agree that electric power is the future of sick speed. If that is what you are after.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM
tIANci

Electric will always cost more than nitro no matter what. For me I moved into EP as I got lazy.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vicman:

Is that truly you, giving electrics a little credit for future value, speed? Na, won't tell on you, or you would be removed from the list of good guy go faster nuts. I saw a project article on the Multiplex "Fun Jet" in RCU and just had to have one. Most of the guys in our club snub their noses at the electrics but ga-ga some of my little birds. Actually I bought two and gave one to my buddy who knows a watt from a what, but can't fly for squat. We'r going for the 150 mph radar proven setup which should be ball park for running in our club raceing "Open" class. Should be a lot of fun showing them what a little electric bird is capable of. Only question is will I be able to see the darned little thing at those speeds well enough to negociate the pylons. Regardles, should have a ball with the thing, and additional fun creating a launcher or dolly that is almost Roger proof. ENJOY
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
vicman

Roger,
Yes it was truely mee.
You may note upon deep review that I have long touted the ability of the lekkie powered model. In fact I am responsible for the coming out of the closet of more than one die hard 1/2a guy. (now there is a tough crowd!)
The revvers were hiding behind Flyboy Dave's trailer when Airbike and his buddies kicked loose with some of thier stuff out on the lake when I was there.
So, for watt it's whorth I go both ways lekkie and wettie. I just don't have the mustard to hang with the serious KV guys yet. Kinda like Kero burners. I wanna do it but college funds keep getting in the way.[8D]
Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
tIANci

rmenke - you guys really getting the FJ up to 150 mph? I mean you are talking really fast stuff here bearing in mind the plane has a lousy fuse for high speed. I read many who say they done this and that but never seen the video and when I ask for tach readings its never given. So sometimes I have my doubts. If we are talking EP pylon planes then I got no doubt they can easily do 150 mph but the FJ?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 PM
vicman

T,
Keep in mind he is in southern Cali and has been cooked way too long. I think excessive nitro fumes have gotten to him also
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
tIANci

Vic - aaaaaah ... I get it. Actually, we get a lot of rain here so it does balance out the heat. LoL!