Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF 2.1M conversion

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Composite ARF 2.1M conversion

Old 06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF 2.1M conversion

Mike ... interesting, this sounds like some space shuttle project, waaay too deep for me man! Hehehehe ...
Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ian

You will eventually come over to the dark side.

Mike
Old 06-04-2008, 07:31 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike ... I am all EP now ... I have crossed over a while now. Heheheehe ... this is my big ep baby
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86342.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	963454  
Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul Eagon

I have been flying a 2x2 on electric now for about a year. I am using a Hacker A60-18M with an APCE 24x12 and 10 cell 5000mah lipo's. Speed controller is a CC 85. Max amp draw is 75 and I am producing 2600 watts.

I painted the basic plane with base coat clear coat with color change trim, so it is about a pound heavier than normal. With the 5000mah lipo's, it weights 16lbs. Tha calculates to 162 watts per pound. I have a DA-50 version that weights 15lbs.

The power to weight ratio is good for IMAC and light 3D. It will hover but the pull out is ever so slow. 12 cell would cure this but I am satisfied so far and like flying it. If I want staight up crazy power, I fly the DA version.

I placed the stock firewall where it needed to be for a DA-50 in case I decided to go back to gas. The Hacker adjustable motor mount worked great.

Don't worry about tail weight. I have two 8411's in the back for elevator. To get the recommended cg, I actually had to move the lipo's back as far as I could under the cowl and still be able to reach the rear hold down strap. I have the 6 cell radio battery just behind the firewall and should move it back under the canopy but I have not got around to it yet. The front of each 5 cell lipo is about 1/4" in front of the firewall.

Paul
Paul how long is your flight time on the A60? I'm planning my set up for a A60 14L and trying to decide on 5amps or 8.

David
Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Finnaly got the Plett up and running on the Anyliser, temp 1 is the batteries and temp 2 is the ESC supprisingly because of the wind from the prop the temps go down during use in a ground run, I doubt if this will happen in the air, the wave form for the ESC is from the anyliser hence the jump in amps every 10th cell approximatly on the spread sheet, prop used was a 22x10 RASA's folding on the in spinner Plettenberg, all looks very promising with 56amps and 6200rpm should fly well.

Mike

Well theres a thing can't import Excell spread sheets.
Well it flew at the week end in company with a couple of 3M 150cc composite planes, whilst not as fast as they where it flew very well, also on site was another Composite ARF 2.1M with a DA50, in short mine did not have the vertical of these planes, obviously not pulling enough amps with the 22 x 10 will need to change this, the C of G was too far forward and the coupling to the belly will need to be dialed out on the Tx, this was being done on the other 2.1 whilst at the site.

All in all very happy with this conversion just need to do a few adjustements to get more amps out of the motor and do some dialing in.

Mike