Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Oily old hand converting 82" Storch to electric

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Oily old hand converting 82" Storch to electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oily old hand converting 82" Storch to electric

My first venture of dabbling into electric after 50 years of i.c. engines. Any help would be appreciated. The
Storch is a Aviomodelli, foam wing kit, 82 inch wing span, with a proposed weight of 11 lbs. I've done my sums and I believe a motor such as an AXI 4130 with a Jeti 70 to 77 Amp Advance PLUS Opto brushless motor controller would suit this model. How am I going so far? Any other suggested suitable motor/combo would be appreciated. I intend to use a seperate battery pack for the R/X. Now the subject of batteries to power this motor. I would prefer not to use LiPo batteries. 2 reasons; have read a lot about the fire/explosion characteristics of LiPo's after damage and I do not have a charger with balancer for LiPo's. Suggestions please as to an alternative type of battery and capacity. NiMh or Lithium? The charger I have is a Swallow 2 that can charge/discharge recycle battery packs but not balance. As I'm dipping my toe in new waters here, what would be a suitable electric prop/s for this unit in a STOL aircraft. Being out in the bush "down under", looks like I'll be dealing with a firm such as Hobby-Lobby. Asking a lot, I know. Motor, ESC, battery, prop. I need to get this right as I can see myself parting with a fair sum of money and I want to get it right first time. Thanks in advance. glen

Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
jmohn

Default RE: Oily old hand converting 82" Storch to electric

You should be fine with a E-flight Power 60 and a 6S 5000 mah TP LiPo pack using a Castle 85 HV esc. I get 1200 to 1400 watts from this setup and since your plane is a slow flyer STOL that's more than 100 watts per pound which should be plenty. This would also save you some cash since going larger would cost you a lot more. I have this setup on three planes one weighing 10 lbs and they all fly great. All three of these planes are WWII warbirds with much higher wing loading than yours too. Good luck!

Jeff
Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

SCORIPO:

Good golly, 50 years huh. Almost as old as I am, 74 in 2 months. A old high school mate got me into electrics some 5 years ago, and have enjoyed the things a bunch. Both he and I tried a E-flight and was disapointed as they both flung a maginet right off the bat. Never any problems with my AXI's, 2208 to 4130/20, Hackers and the new "Thrust" in the smaller birds. Castle Creations 85 HV is a good controller for this size motor, Castle typically underrates their units, so you can pull more safely. I stay with the Li-po's as most of my flying is 3D. My mate uses almost all battery types with no problems, A123, Nimah etc, and has no problems with gear boxes which I hate. I did have a poof lipo fire several years ago, killed a airplane and carpet. It was a cheep pack I used on a ignition system. Since then I have stayed with the good packs, Thunder Power and Max Amps with no problems and good power. I charge them in a ceramic flower pot with no problems.

I enjoy my little foamys and smaller balsa birds like the MD Katana and AJ Extra as they are so easy to deal with, plug and play, no slop cleanup, no putting things togeather. The AXI 4130/20 is still NIB after 6-8 months, doubt at this point that I will ever build that large a bird at this point. If you have a interest in it at a discount, send me a PM. ENJOY
Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 AM
SCORPIO_2727

Thanks Jeff and rmenke for your replies. I'm still scratching my head (and other body parts) trying to catch up on the fandangled terminology of the electric side of things. I know a 100 watts per pound was the optimum target to aim for. I take it a 85 HV would be better in my case than a 70 to 77 amp controller? And I assume I should be using a 4000 to 5000 mah battery? An email to an Aussie distributor for such a battery resulted in a reply of Au$500. For one battery pack!! Gees, I don't want to buy the factory (a lot of methanol for my i.c. engines to boot). Can you suggest an alternative to LiPo batteries? I know with the advancement of modern technology, there are other alternatives, other than nicads, out there. I'll accept a weight penalty. I don't have a charger/balancer for LiPos. Ceramic pot. Now I have enough worries- (looking for strange men watching my place from across the road- ) about buying ether for my diesels and now the mention of the word "POT". I only want my models to be on a "high". What are A123? Any suggestion on prop size/pitch for the Storch using an Xi 4130? rmenke, PM on its way to you. Glen
Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 AM
tam popo

Scorpio - welcome to leccy flying!! You seen worried about lipos but if you follow the guideline and instructions there shouldn't be a problem. It would scare me shoeless if I had to store nitro/methanol etc.
Do you really want to go that big on the plane size, cos you can get just as much fun from something about 50+in.w/span and maybe 2500 3S lipo. Are you a member of a club, there's some good 'uns in Aus, depends where you are.
Suppliers in Aus.... ask the nice guys on the BBQ and Beers thread, lots of advice and 3 of them are suppliers (I-Net shops). I go on that thread every day, I'm the token Pom there, but its cos I get good impartial advice on all things leccy. Try it.
Think of the time you'll save - turn up, turn on, fly, land and all in an hour when the shi.. weather lets up.
See ya tonight, sorry later....can't get used to 5 time zones in one country....got to go, the Sheilas calling, tucker ready..
Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
tam popo

Scorpo - by the way is the Storch a kit and does it have leading edge flaps like the real plane?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
SCORPIO_2727

tam, from your post, I find it hard to believe you're from over there. You'd pass for an Aussie, fair dinkum. I'll have a look at that BBQ and Beers thread. Now that would attract Aussie input. To reply to your questions; I prefer largish models for a few reasons. Not so "nippy" for my tired eyes, bigger seem more sedate (depending on the model of course), I enjoy building the big stuff and most importantly the local weather conditions. I live on the coast, wind always blowing a gale and the smaller models get shoved from pillar to post. I actually started the local model aero club many many years ago, but when the proposal was put forward to charge parking fees for for club members, I told them to shove it. My present group now has more members than the model club. Yes, the Storch is an Aviomodelli (?) kit, the one with the foam wing and yes, it does/will have leading edge slats. My original intent was to use an RCV SP in the Storch, but after some helpful advise from a countryman of yours, I've decided to go electric with this model. He's also a k ind d ecent c hap, too. Yep, charging lipos would put the wind up me. After reading about all the fires/explosions, I'd have an extension lead running down to the lipos way way down the back yard. After being quoted over a thousand dollars for the leccy setup over here, with a suitable charger/balancer, I very nearly gave up the whole idea. That's the reason for this thread; trying to achieve something a bit cheaper. I appreciate the benefits of using lipos, but I'd still prefer not to. Time zones down here. This state is one hour behind most of the other states (daylight saving). One dear old lady, on a talk back radio show, objected to daylight saving because the extra 1hr of daylight would fade her curtains!!!. Gawd. Glen
Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
tam popo

Scorpio - A good Scottish name there - Glen!! A lot of the guys on the BBQ thread fly Multiplex models of one sort or another, from the big Magister, Minimag to the EZ* and even the bipe Gemini. Reason being they are made of Elapor foam which is by far one of the best on the market. Nearly all have an EZ* (54in. w/span) with a brushless and 2000+ lipo, an awesome plane in this format and ideal for the high winds in some parts of Aus (Perth etc). I'll mention some areas - Loddon, Perth, Melbourne, a few from Sydney and Murrambateman(???).
You think you have high winds, you want to come here, its like living in a wind tunnel. And don't let the age thing fool you, I'm retired (early) and 56 y-old. See ya later....
Oh, be warned. There is a Storch out there that advertises front flaps but these don't work. I can't remember the make, will do some research.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 AM
SCORPIO_2727

Tam, my christian name may sound Scottish but a league of nations runs through my veins. Some of my ancestors must have had push bikes and jumped a few borders during their courting days. Your mention of some of the Aussie towns brought a smile to my face, with the song "I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere coming to mind. I have a couple of small commercial foamies but just not my cup of tea. Looks as if I'll have to do a bit of research to find an somewhere decent alternative to lipos. What are A123 batteries? For the past few years I've concentrated on largish scale models, scale being the operative word. I buy my balsa in bulk. I've been tempted to plant balsa trees but having no kiln, the necessary saws and such, put the idea on ther back burner. Any idea as to what prop/pitch to use on the 4130 electric motor with the Storch? Oh, yes, tam, and when it comes to age, I've got 8 years up on you. Glen
Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 AM
tam popo

Glen - sorry Mate, I can't help you with any of those questions. The A123's are not in my league, and I don't know anyone who has used them. just drop in on the BBQ thread sometime, even if you're plane is larger than we fly. The largest we fly is probably the Magister, which can tow a glider up to thermal, a nice plane.
There is no real reason for not going Lipo, the advantages outway the disadvantages (very few). They need to be stored safely (Maybe a steel ammo box etc), boost charged once a month (maybe), keep the + and - terminals separated and store away from extremes in temperature. Thats just the basics, there are more detailed directions etc. The advantages: size for size they are the most powerful, a cell phone size Lipo will power an EZ* 54in. w/span plane for 30 minutes!!! Initial cost (same size) will be $45+ but will last 6-10 months moderate use.
Anyway, got to go, Grand prix is on now and you lot have seen it already......