Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

general battery questions.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
zackesch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general battery questions.

hi all, ive been thinking of doing a slime to electric conversion. my main issue is the cost of the batteries...ugh... so, what i was wondering, for a 40 size slime to e power, would there be any issues if i use 2 3300mah 7.2 nimh packs "i get my parallel and series mixed up" so i get 3300 at 14.4v. i was also concidering A123 cells, but there very expensive and lipos that large will cost too much for my college budget. is there anything you would sudgest?

power wise, i was thinking somthing like a scorpion motor with a cc esc.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: general battery questions.

ORIGINAL: zackesch

hi all, ive been thinking of doing a slime to electric conversion. my main issue is the cost of the batteries...ugh... so, what i was wondering, for a 40 size slime to e power, would there be any issues if i use 2 3300mah 7.2 nimh packs "i get my parallel and series mixed up" so i get 3300 at 14.4v. i was also concidering A123 cells, but there very expensive and lipos that large will cost too much for my college budget. is there anything you would sudgest?

power wise, i was thinking somthing like a scorpion motor with a cc esc.
You'l get 14.4v @ 3300mah if you put them in series= Batt 1 Pos to Batt 2 Neg Batt 2 Pos to ESC Batt 1 Neg to ESC.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:33 PM
patnchris

It sounds like you are thinking about using car packs on your plane. While this will work, be advised that these packs are like bricks. They are heavy. when it comes to planes, weight is your enemy. You might get away with this set up if you're setting up something like a Cub, where you have large wings areas and performance isn't that spectacular. I don't know what you're paying for the MIMH packs, or if you already have them, but you may want to look at True RC Lipos. They reasonably priced and I use them exclusively on my larger planes.....Pat
Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Hobby City For some reason the URL will not go through properly. Do a GOOGLE for it. The prices are excellent and a 4s 4,000 mah lipo is under $100

For my 40/46 conversions to electric I use a Towerpro 3520 motor, 60amp ESC and a 4slipo of about 4,000 mah. I have plenty of power for normal sport flying. My conversions, RTF w/battery, run about 5.5 - 6 lbs. I usually use a 12x10, 12x8 or 13x8 APC prop. I have been using their lipos for almost 3 years now with no problems.