Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

50cc Giles going electric

Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc Giles going electric

Hi all looking at going electric in a 50cc Giles from Wildhare the plane is not out yet but I will get the bird when it comes out and was thinking of going electric.. Now this would be my first LARGE electric have a few smaller electrics from PA and such.
I have been researching Motors and speed controls i have found a few that should? work I think here are the links

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5140&Product_Name=HXT_80-85-A_250Kv_Brushless_Outrunner_(eq:_70-40)

and one for the speed control

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6550&Product_Name=TURNIGY_Sentilon100A_HV_5-12S_(USA_Warehouse)#

Anyhow was looking for input on the things to look out for like how do I disconnect the batterys from the speed control do I do it like my small birds and just open the hatch and pull the plug or do I put a large switch or jumper in the mix some where. I was thinking of not doing a BEC and just going with a A123 setup for the radio gear and this will be 2.4 any issues with that will need to be addressed to but I would think thee should be none !!!!

Oh here is a link to the forum with the bird i plan on converting
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8674605/tm.htm

Thanks for all the advice upfront
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 50cc Giles going electric

Robo ... stay clear of the big China branded motors, it will not last like what many have experienced and it is not all that efficient. Get yourself a branded motor like AXI/Hacker/Hyperion etc. HobbyCity ESCs are okay so far.

As far as connections go its pretty much like a small bird. You can make a safety switch or what they call a SHUNT, that breaks the circuit till you connect it. So you can connect the batts to the ESC and not arm the ESC immediately.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
roboto65

Ok so I can stay with the spd control 100amp should do right and stay away from the China motors got ya would this motor from AXI work http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPPY6&P=0 not a bad price just not in stock yet. I like Hacker but dang they are proud
Old 05-09-2009, 03:15 AM
tIANci

Robo ... that and a 12S set up? I am sure it will be NIIIIICCCCEEEEEEEEEEE ... I just got rid of my DualSky motor, the 6360 ... was on my MidWest CAP 232, not that its bad but if you want great power the China motors will not cut it. Also just sold the CAP so am now thinking of the Comp ARF 2x2 Extra. I would love to go with a proper motor this time. I am sure Hackers are good too, many use it and you can read they are most pleased.

Have a look at the Hyperion 5035/5045, they perform well and are cheaper than Hackers and AXIs. [link=http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_datasheets/hp/z50/z50all.htm]Hyperion 50XX Series[/link]
Old 05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
roboto65

The Hyperion 5045B llooks good figure I will back mounting anyway being as this is a gas conversion with the motor box guess I will have to figure that out either that or I use there motor mount. And 12S it is for sure want the power to punch out of a hover
Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 AM
tIANci

Robo ... I made my own stand offs. The ID is 4mm and I think the OD is about 8mm. Make them in different lengths so you can adjust for spinner clearance. Please make a larger base, you can use a big washer or maybe fabricate something from aluminium. This makes the base more solid, without it the whole motor mounting may rock a little when you throttle up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52045.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1195393