Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

sig 3d mayhem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig 3d mayhem?

Any suggesions as to motor size and such on convertng a 3D mayhem (60 size) to electric?

Airplane is yet unbuilt, so it ought to be (?) easy.

Red Baron Gary
Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM
fadi

Default RE: sig 3d mayhem?

Your airplane needs anything from 1500 to 2500watts to fly it correctly, I would suggest the upper limit especially that it is a 3D model.
It is up to you to select the motor, esc, battery and so on...
Old 08-02-2009, 06:52 PM
jumper666

Might be of help:

http://www.gregcovey.com/Glow_Conversions_Made_Easy.htm

gb
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Red Baron Gary

Thanks to all for the VERY good answers and fast responses.
RB Gary
Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Big Barry

I just converted mine, the proper CG is my current issue. I converted an existing model that was flown with a YS .91. I flew it on Saturday and the CG was close to 7" from the LE. It was a handfull to land. Since then I have moved everything forward and mounted the ESC to the motormount and I moved the Lipo a few inches forward as well. The CG is now at 6". I wanted to try Hobby King's cheap prices so I used all of their equipment for the conversion. I went with a Turnigy SK 50-65 380Kv/1820w motor, Turnigy large composite motormount, Turnigy Sentillion 100amp ESC, Rhino 6S 4900mah 25C, Turnigy BEC and a Xoar 18x8. The current system only yields 1,224 watts, I have ordered some bigger props. I want to prop it to at least 1,600 watts. The plane ready to fly is 8.4lbs. At my altitude I think a 19x8 or a 20x8 should get the plane into the same power to weight ratio that I was used to with the YS .91. The Turnigy motormount is not a direct replacement for the stock SIG mount as the Turnigy mount moves the thrust line up a 1/2", also the Turnigy mount will not bolt rite up to the existing mounting location without some modification. I will fly it again with the new CG and larger prop on Saturday 8/15. I will post the results.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
fadi

Yup you will need at least 1680W to fly it correctly in 3D mode; try to have a bit more...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Red Baron Gary

Methinks I will wait for Big Barry's results on his R & D.

Red Baron Gary
Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Big Barry

The big brown truck showed up last night with some new props. I am getting 1672W on the APC 20x8E. I bet down in Sacramento you would be over 1800W with the same set-up. I think it should be fine now for power, I might still be a little aft on the CG. I might add a spinner for some extra weight up front. Just for fun I put the plane together and powered it up in the garage, I could let go of it and it was hovering at a click over half throttle and at 3/4 throttle it was climbing out of my hand.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
fourstar2

ok red baron gary. heres my two cents i dont know if you've selected your motor system or not but if you are still going to go electric my best advice is to go with a good outrunner motor, they are simple and have loads of torque. And the best thing of all is they are simple, no gear box to mess with and most manufacturers produce their outrunners with a simple size rating such as20. size 40. size 60. size etc. all you have to do is chose your size, speed controll and coresponding battery and thats all there is to it. I have a mini ultra stick that i has a common sense outrunner on it and it was the one that the planes instuctions called for and it is pretty much an anti gravity device. But ultimately if it were me i would go nitro. I have a sig mayhem 40 with saito 62a four stoke and it is like a match made in heaven. So watever you chose to do good luck and happy flying.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Big Barry

Finally flew it today with the new prop and CG set at 6". It flew fantastic, really light just floats around at 8.4lbs ready to fly. Blenders stop the plane in its tracks really flat with a bit of right aileron and at half throttle it just pin wheels. Waterfall to a tip spin is like a squirrel cage just rips, better have the batts tied down really good. The motor and prop are plenty strong and pull out from hover is not like a rocket but it is very good. With the CG set at 6", landing the plane takes a bit of down elevator, makes for some nice three point landings.

Lipo's were just ambient temp after 8min flights. The motor was warm but not hot at all and the speed controller was the same. I expected the Lipo to be allot warmer due to the small space in the fuse but I must have created a pretty efficient airflow over it.

Over all I am very pleased with the conversion and now I have a giant park flier that can be flown at the local park with out bothering the neighbors.