Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

gas to electric conversions

Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
getting older
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas to electric conversions

Gentlemen, I would like to know if anyone is willing to share information on converting proctor nieuport 11, jenny, antic(mono,bipe,and parasol} and vk fokker dr1 tri, sopwith f.1 camel, nieuport 17, and topflight se5a(?) to electric. I'm at different stages in the build process on three kits and would like to install the motors properly, but I understand there will be cg issues with these bipes. I've been told I might need to add nose weight if the motor/battery locations aren't planned out in advance. What would your picks for motors/batteries be if you were putting these kits together? I'm leaning to axi and e-flight for the muscle and open to tested info on the batteries. Thanks for your help. Regards, Russ

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
jmohn

Default RE: gas to electric conversions

While I haven't done thos exact kits I have done conversions on those planes. The Sopwith (Hanger 9) requires a lot of weight up front. I got the batter and ESC as far forward as possible by cutting a slot through the firewall to move the batter right behind the motor. I also used a heavy hub on the prop.

The D7 (Hanger 9) is not as sensitive in getting the CG right, but still needs weight up front. I was able to keep the battery behind the firewall and just use a heavy hub on this plane.

My Nieuport 17 was a kit from 3 SeaBees and was real nice. Unfortunately the control horn for the elevator broke off in flight and ended that plane. It was also needed a lot of weight forward to fly well. I did the same setup as the Sopwith and it fly great. All three of the above planes flew on an Eflite Power 60 with a Thunder Power 6S 5000 mah pack. Enough power to go verticle.

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 AM
getting older
My Feedback: (18)

Jeff, Thanks for the reply. The "heavy hub" you used was Al i'm assuming. I have the tools to make hubs from a piece of steel, what do you think? Whats the approx weight of your hubs, and did you need to add dead weight to your planes to get the correct cg? Thanks, Russ
Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM
jmohn

I used a brass heavy hub. Can't remember the brand but they come in several threads and weights. The AUW on the D7 and N17 was around 9 lbs. The Sopwith was a little under 8 lbs.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 AM
deothoric

Hi, I have a VK Camel I've electrified. it's been flying all season and works very well. Initially I got the motor (320kv), ESC (80A) and a 4S 4400mah all inside the cowl. It's a bit of work but can be done. Prop is a wood 16x10. The plane ended up nose heavy! It flew but was a little stodgy on all controls. I've since cut a hole in the lower bulkhead and slide the 4400 halfway through for a perfect CG position. Now it flies in a better than scale manner. Slow and floaty but capable of loops from level flight, stall turns and a somewhat sloppy aileron only roll. Oh! it also lands and I can keep the skid on the ground with the cg further back!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
deothoric

Just to add, my motor is a turnigy 50-65 320, Cells are a 4S Flightpower 15c (Turnigy again). ESC is a Plush 80A (Turnigy again effectively, all bought from Hobbyking. A good combo with enough power and very quiet!