Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Conversion of World Models SPOT-ON 50.

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Conversion of World Models SPOT-ON 50.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 AM
misterv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion of World Models SPOT-ON 50.

I am an experienced modeller of TOO many years and am finally going to try and get away from the smelly, noisy mess of internal motors and give electrics a try.
In reading through this and many other forums on electrics, there appears to be so many different ideas and views on what is the correct combination for the same model. It is pretty cut and dried with i.c. but electris appear to be a different ball game.
Anyhow this is what I have decided to do and need any assistance and ideas to help.
Amongst others,I am presently flying a World Models Spot On 50 with OS .46 and am trying to get the same performance with electric. I have brought a new SpotOn 50 kit and am looking for all the items I need for the conversion,motor batteries etc. I believe US may have different ratings for some motors so if you can advise on International equivalent(Chinese) would be appreciated. I would like to get similar performance,not 3D but a fast smooth flying model,not too heavy with only one battery with one or two batteris for an afternoof flying.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Vic.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Conversion of World Models SPOT-ON 50.

Vic ... welcome to the Dark Side! Okay, first thing you need to decide is that sort of power, will it be 4S or 5S? If you want almost unlimited vertical then go with 5S. Next is, branded or non branded stuff?

If it were me I would go like this, this can be your baseline:

Motor - DualSky 4260-5 (680 KV)
Batt - Rhino 5S 4,900
ESC - DualSky/Turnigy 80A
Prop - 12x8 (about 10,000 RPM)

Motor - DualSky 4260-6 (577 KV)
Batt - Rhino 5S 4,900
ESC - DualSky/Turnigy 80A
Prop - 12x10 or 13x10 (about 8,500 RPM)

Other nice motors will be the Hacker A50 10S or 12S for 5S, AXI (4120/18 for 5S) or even Hyperion 4025 series and if money permits, Plettenbergs are superb but alas, its costly. You can also go to HobbyCity to look for motors such as the Turnigy and find one that is equivalent to the above and see what the user reviews says on set up and batt sizes. HobbyCity Rhino or FlightMax packs are cheap and they work fine.

We are talking a lot more power than your OS46. A lot more. You will be smiling from ear to ear when you pull those HUGE HUGE loops with ease.

Okay then you will need to mount the motor. I like to mount it by making my own backplate and stand offs. It will then fit into the WM motor mount blind nut pattern on the firewall. My standoffs are ID 3mm (with a little more so the bolts can pass through as they are 3mm bolts) and OD 5mm.

Enjoy yourself!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79974.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1256441  
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 AM
misterv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your info. and sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. RC Universe must be slipping as I did not receive an invoice to inform me of a reply.
I like you definition... black hole... a mate gave me a similar definition re electrics,meaning the same, but which I cannot mention here.
I will study your set-ups and will get back to you and ask more questions after I get myself familar with what you have suggested.
As I said I want something that performs and your items look like you are right on the ball.
Any other suggestions to a similar size and design model that woud fit the bill. I have a Venus 50 with a 46 ,would buy another, or am looking at the SEBART models. very scarce over here,about 3 months delay in orders.Do you know the SpotOn.It seems the "model of the month" here in Aussie at present. I am also looking at the Great Planes Revolver. Any and all info. appreciated.
Where do you look to get the more expensive motors and is the added expense worth the dollars. At presemt I am using the ChinaMan and baseing much of my info. on his adds and also RC Universe Forums.
I hope things are good for you as a close neighbour in our troubled World. Everyone should take up aeromodeling and then wouldn't have time to make bombs etc.

Again thanks. Vic.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi vic,

welcome to RCU and electric flight. here are a few of other options for you . the first is the monster power mototrs and the second is the E-flight brand motors, and third are rimfire motors from great planes all are good but the monster power and rimfire motors give close/same power and are about half the price of the big names

link= http://www.nitroplanes.com/brmo.html

link= http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4046A

link= http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GHG

i have motors from all 3 and can say they are all about the same for power, but i will be buying more monster power and rimfire to save some cash hope this helps in your search.

as far as ESC's and props they all give good ranges/suggestions with the motor you choose.

bassman
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vic ... things are kewl here except for stupid politicians, they really need to learn to fly RC! As for Sebart planes, I say go for it. Forget the Spot On. Go for the Sebart Angel S, she is amazing, I had one but lost her about two months back. Here is my set up:

Motor - Hyperion 4025-12
ESC - DualSky 60A
Batt - Rhino 20C 5S 4,900
Prop - 16x10 (you can go with a 16x12 but you need an 80A ESC)
Servo - JR 539

With the above set up you have no issues on power. That is just an amazing plane to fly. You will smile from ear to ear. There is not much to the build but please remember to reinforce the battery tray if you are using heaver packs like the 4,900 mAh ones. I was happy flying mine till someone suggested a NEGATIVE SNAP ... well, the battery popped out and was hanging to the ESC, plane met terra firma.

I replaced the Angel with a Ms Wind 50 and Wind S 110, am in the midst of programming the radio for my Ms Wind, I am really frustrated ... 4 servos for the ailerons. Sigh ...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vic,

Based on what I have read it seems that the SpotOn is a very nice flying airplane; however, it might not be the easiest one to convert. From what I can tell, you would need to cut a hatch and make provisions for battery access. An airplane that is already electric friendly might be a better choice.

Having said that, I am currently flying a Groovy 50 3A, which is the predecesor to the SpotOn. They are nearly the same size and weight. My conversion came in at 5.75 lbs and it flies well, but it does feel heavy. For power, I am using a Mega 22/20/3 geared 4:1 through a MEC gearbox. I am using a 5 cell 3200 Mah lipo and a 45 amp controller. The prop is an APC-E 14x12 which seems to give good balance between speed and thrust. I do not quite have unlimited vertical (~300 ft), but certainly more than enough for what I can do. As it stands, the plane is flying on about 750-800 watts of power. Since gearboxes are out of favor nowadays, an AXi 4120/18 would also work. That is the motor that I first flew the plane with.

At any rate, I would agree with the previous comments that there are better choices for an electric pattern plane.

Good luck,

Teo